Is this 12" PB mod possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by clyde2801, Apr 4, 2009.

1. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I love the form factor of the 12" pb, but I'd also love to have the processing power of a core 2 duo in that package.

Does anyone think it would be possible to gut a new mac mini with the nvidia chip and mod a 12" powerbook to take the logic board and graphics chip?

Is it theoretically possible, and could it practically be done? I know the macbook logic boards wouldn't fit inside of a 12" frame, but doesn't the mini have a much smaller footprint?

C'mon, you have to admit that would be a cool, bad-a$$ mod...:cool:

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. California macrumors 68040

California

I think it can be done, though beware there were two different case styles for the 12" PB, the first 867mhz had a vga out port, the rest had dvi.

You will have a weird time with the lcd. I bet it can be done, so good luck.

4. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I think the hardest thing to overcome would be port locations. Surely the Mac Mini's ports will not come anywhere close to lining up with the holes for the ports in the PBs case.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ok i was being sarcastic in my first post

this would be near impossible to do id wager

if we cant even figure out how to run a g4 imac with the mini's guts......

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Yeah right, that's still not got anywhere really has it...

OP, this is near impossible to do, I wouldn't suggest doing it, the heatsink/fan over the CPU are probably thicker than the PB, so that would be your first problem, then mounting, then cutting holes for the ports, then cooling, then wiring the keyboard/trackpad, then wiring the display, I mean, the list goes on and on and on and on....

7. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

It might be possible. But more importantly is it worth the time/hassle/money involved? If you could pull it off post it here because it is still bad ass.

8. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Theoretically possible since its basically just putting in hardware into a casing. However it'd probably end up looking like a complete Frankenstein since the form factor's completely different. I believe the older PowerBooks have a 4:3 shape while the newer Macbooks have a 16:10 shape.

Definitely not worth the effort. Just buy a Macbook and be happy with the Unibody-ness. :)

9. clyde2801 thread starter macrumors 601

clyde2801

Wow, a powerbook that Jurwin would love?!? :eek: Yeah, it would be, wouldn't it? I like the 4:3 form factor more than I do the widescreen aspect of the mb's. I think that's why the people who hold onto their 12"'ers love them, not because of the PPC chip.

I could even see there being a market for the converts, too.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd love it if you were able to do it. :)

I think as long as you don't need ports, you're fine. If you need ports, you're in trouble. Everything else like fans and such probably have a solution or work-around.

11. Vancouvercanuck macrumors member

12. txnoob macrumors 6502

Above, that part where he prefers the 12 size and form factor.....