Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neutral Gamer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Engadget have a story about the new 13.3" Epson Penryn NA801 laptop which apparently has an NVIDIA 256MB GeForce 8600M GT card in it:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/01/epson-pops-penryn-in-13-3-inch-na801-laptop/

• Intel 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo T8100
  • Up to 3GB of DDR2 RAM
  • Between 80GB and 250GB of HDD space
  • Dual-layer DVD burner and integrated Bluetooth
  • HDMI, VGA, an ExpressCard slot, multicard reader
  • Battery good for around 3.4 hours on a full charge
  • 4.4 pounds

As it's April 1st and I've never heard of Epson making laptops I'm pretty dubious. But if it's true then this is basically the 13" MBP you've all been waiting for right? (Without the sexy design and Mac OS of course.) Is it even possible to fit the 8600M GT into such a small laptop? Cos if it is then the fabled Apple laptop could be one step closer to reality ...

So is this an April's fool or not? :confused:

Attachments

• epson_2.jpg
    epson_2.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 133

timimbo85

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
Chicago
idk, thats a good question, it would kind of seem like a weak prank. Who knows maybe its real, but if its not then whatever right. Anyways a 13 inch MPB seems unneeded in MHO

tip

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
Well, 99% of Engadget's "stories" are simply paraphrasing/cut-paste from other sites. So, simply check the source (Impress's site). Looks real to me.

Neutral Gamer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
idk, thats a good question, it would kind of seem like a weak prank. Who knows maybe its real, but if its not then whatever right. Anyways a 13 inch MPB seems unneeded in MHO

Tell that to all the people who keep asking for one in these forums! :D

Well, 99% of Engadget's "stories" are simply paraphrasing/cut-paste from other sites. So, simply check the source (Impress's site). Looks real to me.

The only problem is that original site seems to be some Japanese site which has been translated so it kinda makes it seem a bit more unreliable. Still, it'd be great if it's real ...

timimbo85

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
Chicago
yea i agree, but how powerful the MB are getting I am sure that will be the new 13" that people are going to want.

tip

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
Apple's division between consumer and professional hardware is kinda odd these days, especially from the laptop perspective.

I don't know why 13" is consumer, while the 15"/17" are pro. It's been ten years since Apple has turned around into a profitable company again. It has also been a couple years since the Intel transition, and it has been successful.

As such, I'm hoping that Apple might expand its line, and introduce a 13" MBP. Heck, a 10"/11" MBA, 15" MB, and a headless desktop between a Mini and Pro would be good to have as well. Probably won't happen, but hopefully the market will make Apple realize they need to keep ahead of the competition.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Apple's division between consumer and professional hardware is kinda odd these days, especially from the laptop perspective.

I don't know why 13" is consumer, while the 15"/17" are pro. It's been ten years since Apple has turned around into a profitable company again. It has also been a couple years since the Intel transition, and it has been successful.

As such, I'm hoping that Apple might expand its line, and introduce a 13" MBP. Heck, a 10"/11" MBA, 15" MB, and a headless desktop between a Mini and Pro would be good to have as well. Probably won't happen, but hopefully the market will make Apple realize they need to keep ahead of the competition.

I'll keep the rant short, since I've posted it so many times... I continue to not understand this form of logic:

- Apple pursued a niche strategy of producing a few excellent models that led them to best-in-class profitability and growth for the past decade

- Most of Apple's niche products have high margins and fly off the shelves, while most of the many non-niche products in the large arsenals of Apple's competitors do not have / do either.

- Apple is widely forecasted by investors to continue to outperform the industry, based on the assumption that they continue this strategy.

- Therefore, Apple should wake up and embrace the strategy that has led to poor market performance on the part of their competitors while there is still time.

Sorry, I just don't get it.

Neutral Gamer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
The War Continues

Therefore, Apple should wake up and embrace the strategy that has led to poor market performance on the part of their competitors while there is still time.

Sorry, I just don't get it.

..Apple NEEDS to update the 12 inch PB to MBP standards. Its easy $$ that is being left on the table.:apple:

There clearly seems to be opposing views here on what Apple should do. I have a simple question; how well did the 12" PB sell? If it was a success then clearly there must be a lot of current and ex owners of it who find the graphics card on the MB too weak and the size of the MBP too big. For these people the 13" MBP would be ideal but if the PB didn't sell that well or if the ex-owners have simply bought a 15" MBP or 13" MB then maybe the market would be too much of a niche to be profitable? Of course many people said the same about the MBA ...

tip

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
- Therefore, Apple should wake up and embrace the strategy that has led to poor market performance on the part of their competitors while there is still time.
Ummm, no. Looking at the market as a whole,there are good examples of every product, from the Vaio TZ (high price point, sells well), to the ThinkPad (low price point, sells well), and everything in-between to illustrate any and every argument about what's the "right" and "wrong" strategy.

What I'm really getting at is the iPod. It started off with a small number of models and choices (and understandably so at that time). As Apple has gained profitability with the product, it has expanded quite a bit in the number of choices. It is no longer the high-priced "yuppie" product as it once was, providing a larger variety of offerings, instead of just one model with different capacities.

Apple could have retained its "niche," high-markup strategy with the iPod, and it would probably still work. Maybe it would still retain the same market share as it does now. Who knows? Certainly not you, and certainly not me.

However, as I said, it would nice to see more offerings that consumers want. It was as simple as that.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
There clearly seems to be opposing views here on what Apple should do. I have a simple question; how well did the 12" PB sell?

The PB12" was actually the best selling Powerbook in that era, as far as I know. But it really isn't an example of what I was responding to (like headless iMacs and so on).

I do understand the concerns people have over the MBA vs. the PB12", but the MBA is honestly better in every possible dimension in comparison to the PB12", including the GPU. It could use some work, but people who are complaining should go back and look more carefully at the specs of the very first generation 12" PBG4. Give them some time to update the MBA, and I'm sure it'll be fine....

stiphone

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
I would get the MBA if they update their specs to be comparable to MBP. Otherwise, IMHO, it ain't worth the money right now.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.