Is this 2009 Mac Pro a good deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by minisuds7, Sep 2, 2012.

1. minisuds7 macrumors member

minisuds7

http://up.craigslist.org/sys/3239172533.html

With the 24" cinema display he's offering, the total would be $2000. It sounds like a steal to me and it looks like a powerhouse for programs like Mathematica and random CAD programs, but I was waiting for a new iMac after the disappointment of this year's Mac Pro "refresh" :rolleyes: Should I go for it? Or wait for the new iMac and spend 3k to get a loaded one? I was originally wanting a Pro anyway… The only thing about this one is that the processors are only clocked at 2.26, which is pretty damn slow… Help!

2. Macsparky macrumors newbie

I have a 2009 Mac Pro 2.93 quad with 16g of ram it is a great machine has served me well and shows no signs of not doing so for many years to come. It's hooked to a 30" ACD beautiful to look at, Bought my Mac Pro refurb and the ACD used it's a 2006 model. I sure would not take that for mine. If the processor is not big enough for your needs it can be upgraded. These are built like a Tank and will last for years. My G5 is still running like new and has been running 24 7 for years. Bought it used for the Atlanta Times Journal graphics dept many years ago. These are built to work hard for a long time. They are ez to service and parts are ez to find...Good Luck :apple:

3. minisuds7 thread starter macrumors member

minisuds7

Thanks for the reply! You're making me want it kinda bad haha… But I've also realized that I would need to upgrade the graphics card to like a gtx 570 or a ati 5870… which means more money. That gt120 won't cut it! Any other opinions?