Is this 2011 worth the money??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by michael360, Jul 29, 2012.

  1. michael360 macrumors newbie

    Nov 4, 2011
    Guys I'm getting an offer from someone for USD$1800 used a couple of months, it's the current 2011 and not sure if it will be worth getting over the upcoming model. What do you guys think?

    27-inch: 3.4GHz
    3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    2560 x 1440 resolution
    12GB memory
    256GB SSD
    AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB
  2. RedCroissant Suspended

    Aug 13, 2011
    Wow, I think it is. With the RAM that you could easily max out and the SSD installed, I doubt you're going to see much of an improvement whenever the new ones come out. And at a price of $2700 from Apple for the same configuration, I would say that's a great deal and one that I would take advantage of. I just don't see a 3.4GHz version on, but that probably doesn't matter much anyway.

    Did the other owner purchase Apple Care? If not, you could still purchase it and still save over the retail price. Will it come in the original box with all original packaging and accessories? If so, do it.

    As an example, I recently maxed out and upgraded my 2009 iMac and it still performs the way I would expect it to.
  3. Major.Robto macrumors 6502

    May 11, 2012
    I have a 2008 imac and just upgraded the ram brought new life in to it,

    was kind of surprised at how well it has tunred out.
  4. RedCroissant Suspended

    Aug 13, 2011
    You should see what happens if you also reformat and then reinstall everything. That's what I did with mine when I replaced the stock HDD with a 3TB one. I love it.

    And I am really glad that I can upgrade to ML as well. It's probably my last major upgrade with this machine, but I have been more than satisfied with it and don't see myself replacing it unless it crashes.
  5. michael360 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 4, 2011
    Yes it does come with the original packaging and accessories. Comes with AppleCare too as mentioned its only been bought in March I think I'm gonna take it
  6. Doctorsti macrumors regular

    May 30, 2006
    Did you just max it out at 4GB from the stock 2GB? I'm not aware of any other upgrade besides this on the C2D machines from early 2008.

    I may have to do this soon but the hurdle is getting our iPhoto library under control and get all documents in proper folders. Then the only downside is configuring all the programs to work like they did which I guess is only Safari but maybe there is a way to save searches to the cloud.
  7. RedCroissant Suspended

    Aug 13, 2011
    I think that would be the best move. That machine is going to be awesome for a few years. Good find!
  8. jji7skyline macrumors 6502


    Aug 10, 2011
    Awesome value! I'd say go for it. You're not likely to get much better specs than that for that price even after the imminent update!

    The only reason to wait for the new ones, would be if you really needed USB 3.0.
  9. mcpix macrumors regular

    May 13, 2005
    That is a good deal!

    The only other consideration besides USB 3.0, is if the rumored anti glare screen is important to you. The original iMac screen does bother some people (I've removed mine).

    I would also try to get the original box and packing materials. When the day comes to sell your iMac you'll be glad you did.

Share This Page