Is this 500GB Toshiba drive any good?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mako5, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Mako5 macrumors regular

Mako5

TOSHIBA MK5055GSX 500GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive

From Newegg for $76 w/ free shipping here

2. crzdmniac macrumors regular

I just saw a new review on tomshardware that discusses seven of the 500GB notebook drives. The Toshiba comes away as one of their choices. I personally went with the Western Digital that is about $5 more, mainly because of the speedy access times. But it looks to be a solid drive.

3. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

whatever you do, dont go with Western Digital. Worst company ever.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Maybe you've had a bad experience, but WD has been awesome for me in the past. Multiple desktop HDs 350MB through 200GB, not a single failed drive.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

+1, I've had great luck with Western Digital.

Truthfully, if you look around long enough you'll find some people who can't stand WD, some people who can't stand Toshiba, or Hitachi, or Seagate, or Maxtor, and so on.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Funny you mention that...

The Maxtor on my parent's dell died 4 months after they got it, haha....Dell replaced with a WD, been running solid ever since.

7. crzdmniac macrumors regular

I've had 5 different WD 2.5" drives and they all worked flawlessly. All hard drives die, that is a fact. I've sent some drives in for warranty at work and they (at least at the time) allowed to do advanced replacement.

8. Mako5 thread starter macrumors regular

Mako5

Thanks for the link. It was an excellent article. What I liked about it is that the Toshiba is the lowest power drive of the one's tested. For me battery life is a very important factor. Nothing worse than running out of juice. I might try this.