Is this a a logical way to get 2 new 3GS's?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NerdTeks, Jun 17, 2009.

1. NerdTeks macrumors newbie

Maybe Im just sleep deprived but I started thinking just a bit ago.

I bought me and my wife the iPhone 3G back in April on the 10th. I was switching from Sprint and very pleased to just have an iPhone. 3 Months later I would be even more pleased to have the new iPhone 3GS and so would my wife.

I am able to have up to 5 lines on my account so I was thinking ways around paying $600+ for a new phone.

.. If I was to go ahead and add two new lines to my account and purchase 2 new 3GS's then go ahead and sell our two old 3G's. Essentially that's now 4 open lines on my account with the Family Talk plan. Could I then take the new phones and just our old Sim Cards in them and tada? I understand it would be another 9.99 for each additional line but our neice has wanted a phone for a while so I wouldnt mind getting her a cheap phone and letting her onto the account. Then I would just have an open account with essentially a 9.99 fee a month for nothing but that is fine with me to be honest.

My only concern is would they cancel the iphone data plans on the 2 new lines. Sadly, there would be a little bit of lying involved I would think as the only way I see it working is to say either the 3G's got stolen or broke or the new 3GS did for AT&T to be rid of two iphone data plans.

Or am I just weird and or Stupid.?

2. thankins macrumors 6502

I am actually going to do the same thing. From my understanding this would work, you just need to plug the Sim from the new phone into a cheaper phone and then contact ATT and tell them you broke the phone or something like that and that you just need to dumb the phone plan on that down to the 9.99 plan. Should work like a charm!

3. NerdTeks thread starter macrumors newbie

This is good to hear. I sure do hope it works. Good luck to you as well!

On a side note, Does the family talk plans vary on how many additional lines are able to utilize that plan? Yesterday before I switched from the Family talk 1000 plan or whatever to the 550(We just didnt use the minutes) It said I could do 3 additional lines... Now it just says 2? Which is fine still.

4. thankins macrumors 6502

From my research and understanding you can still use the 550 min plan (it is what I have) but of course you would have the additional 30 a month for the new iphone data plan, per new iphone. this of course would be cancelled after you "broke your phone" :)

5. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

I agree. It sounds good. But why don't you cancel the net plan for the two old 3Gs?

6. ViPa macrumors 6502a

yeah you can do exactly what you described..you would have to lie and tell them you lost your phone or it got stolen to avoid the data charges

7. NerdTeks thread starter macrumors newbie

I just went and reserved two 3GS 16GB phones at Best Buy for Friday.

I really hope this doesn't screw me In the end!