Is this a bad GPU or Lion bug?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jrichman63, Sep 27, 2011.

1. jrichman63 macrumors regular

This is a screenshot of my background of my new 27 i7 SSD iMac. Is this a bad GPU or Lion bug? The artifact disappeared after a restart.

Attached Files:

2. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

If you were able to take a screenshot of it, that would mean a lion issue. Otherwise, all of us wouldn't be able to see it, only you on your computer.

3. AbeFroman77 macrumors 6502

Lion bug. Happened on both 2011 27" iMacs I had (3.4ghz, 4gb, 256ssd+1tb, 6970m 2gb). It happened whenever I watched a hd video on youtube, quicktime or itunes.

4. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

I get the same artifact on my rig from time to time.

I suspect it's driver-related.

5. warxy macrumors newbie

warxy

I used to get artifacts like that when my PC's GPU and vram heats up too much from over clocking. I suspect it could be an overheating issue or driver related problems like jackoatmon said.

6. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

Pretty sure it's not heating issues. I did a good amount of testing and managed to get artifacts under low workloads/low heats.

The reason I speculate that it's driver related is that it seems to be most easily activate by putting flash video into fullscreen mode (not the Lion native fullscreen, but a non-native one version - say a video player on a website or whatever). This points to a firmwear issue rather than a hardware issue.

Hence, I wouldn't worry about it. It will likely get fixed in some future combination of OSX/Radeon drivers.

7. hifoo45 macrumors member

8. jrichman63 thread starter macrumors regular

OK this is good news. At least for me, because I would hate to have go though the hassle of the exchange process for my new iMac. The screen is perfect on this one.

9. basher macrumors 6502

basher

I get similar artifacting. Like others stated, mostly when watching HD videos. I found that logging out and then back in corrects the issues. IMO it's a driver issue.

10. jrichman63 thread starter macrumors regular

11. kgapp macrumors member

Definetely a LION related issue. I get the first one you posted on my iMac 27 i7 and the second you posted on my 2009 Mac Pro. Hopefully they will sort this out for a update soon.