Is this a broken silent switch or is it normal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Alexh614, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Alexh614 macrumors newbie

My silent switch on my iPhone 3G requires A LOT of force to go back and forth and it feels like it's broken/jammed. Are all phone switches supposed to require this much force? When I tried my friends switch it went back and forth with ease and I thought maybe his was broken and mine was right, but now I'm thinking it's the opposite. Can I get this replaced and if so can ATT do it? The nearest Apple Store is 2 and a half hours away.

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

in my iPhone 1.0(GOT LOOKING AT THOSE UNBOXING PICS OF 3G I WANT THAT SOOO BAD NOW!!) but i dont think HIS is broken, mine slides very easily, at first i didnt know it even had one, i thought it was a sensor for wi-fi or something like along those lines..

3. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Can you flip it on and off? If so, I say keep yours.

My iPhone 3g requires more force to switch than my original iPhone which is good because my original iPhone could switch to silent in my pocket.

4. Alexh614 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sometimes, and then other times it gets stuck. If it's broken I don't want to keep it, the silent switch being so hard to control is really annoying.

5. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Mine had the same issue and it broke off on day 1. I still kept it though. Yours is defective, its your choice if you want to keep it.

6. profetto macrumors regular

7. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

8. Alexh614 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it's been like that since I got it. I'm afraid if I take it to Apple they will think I got something in the switch and just want a new one to replace it because of something that's my fault. It's just that I thought it was normal because during the first couple of weeks I had no other iPhone switches to compare it to.

9. dustinl4m3 macrumors regular

The 3G I bought on launch day had this issue. I took it back on Saturday (the next day) and it was swapped out for a brand new phone, no questions asked.

10. gtqi macrumors newbie

got mine today (16GB white)

my silent switch needs some pressure to switch on/off. but 1 finger is enough
    my friends one goes very easy.

What about urs...what is normal?
    Are there manufactoring differences?

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

It sounds like you might be using two hands to turn it on/off pretty soon. Take it back, it shouldn't be a chore to turn it on/off...

12. Alexh614 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just an update...I called Apple and set up a repair so I'm sending it in tomorrow. Just as I was packaging it up today my brother was wondering why I was sending it in as you couldn't see anything wrong with it by just looking at it, so I showed him how hard it was to switch the silent switch back and forth. Right as I showed him the switch fell off completely...looks like the switch requiring alot of force eventually leads to it coming off completely.

13. Ozzhead macrumors member

Mine is harder then my first gen, but id rather it be little harder...Or should i just goto the apple store incase its broke?

14. View macrumors regular

From my experience of playing with several phone at an Apple store.
    Some are harder to turn than others...
    If it has the "click" noise, then it most likely is NOT broken, if it doesn't, then it probably is broken.

15. Alexh614 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah mine defininitely didn't have the click.