Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Hi guys! So in OS X El Capitan, one thing that I find incredibly annoying is that finder doesn't remember it's place. In previous versions of OS X, if you scrolled down through files/folders, and opened a sub folder, then click the back arrow, you start at the top again.

I made a quick video to show what I mean. This is quite annoying especially when going through a folder with many items, and having to start from the top again.

Is this intentional, or a bug? And is there a way to fix this?

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Not sure if I understand your problem.
When I use finder to look through progressive folders - files and then use the back arrow, it takes me back one step at a time, the exact reverse of how I progressed in the beginning.
Which is the very same as I'm used to with previous OS X versions.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Not sure if I understand your problem.
When I use finder to look through progressive folders - files and then use the back arrow, it takes me back one step at a time, the exact reverse of how I progressed in the beginning.
Which is the very same as I'm used to with previous OS X versions.

Same here, but if you had say 100 sub folders with in a folder (sort by alphabetical order) and you scroll down and open a folder starting with "M", then click the back arrow. Instead of seeing the folder starting with the letter "M" that you clicked on, the computer starts from the top with "A" instead.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Is this intentional, or a bug? And is there a way to fix this?

I know exactly what you mean, and it's a new behaviour from previous OS X versions. I have no idea at this point whether it's a bug or whether Apple have deliberately changed the behaviour...

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Same here, but if you had say 100 sub folders with in a folder (sort by alphabetical order) and you scroll down and open a folder starting with "M", then click the back arrow. Instead of seeing the folder starting with the letter "M" that you clicked on, the computer starts from the top with "A" instead.
OK now I see where you're coming from, and yes that is also the way I'm seeing it.
I just fired up another system with 10.5 Leopard on it and what do know, it behaves exactly the same way.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
You're clearly not doing it right if you don't notice that the Finder in El Cap doesn't remember the position it was in when you step back using the back arrow.

I just double-checked my other Mac, a Macbook Pro running 10.10.5, and went into a folder in list view, scrolled down to the last sub-folder in the list, which is about halfway down the list, opened it, went back and it returned to the exact position in the list. In El Cap it returns to the top of the list.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
You're clearly not doing it right if you don't notice that the Finder in El Cap doesn't remember the position it was in when you step back using the back arrow.

I just double-checked my other Mac, a Macbook Pro running 10.10.5, and went into a folder in list view, scrolled down to the last sub-folder in the list, which is about halfway down the list, opened it, went back and it returned to the exact position in the list. In El Cap it returns to the top of the list.
You clearly did not understand my post #5, the part where I was telling him that I too was experiencing El Capitans lack of memory.
"OK now I see where you're coming from, and yes that is also the way I'm seeing it"
So obviously I was doing it right.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I know exactly what you mean, and it's a new behaviour from previous OS X versions. I have no idea at this point whether it's a bug or whether Apple have deliberately changed the behaviour...
Probably a bug just like the small sidebar issue that was fixed a few betas ago. The feature has been there since Snow Leopard, not sure why it would be removed now in 10.11.

Last edited:

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
This same behavior is also in iTunes now.

That was my first thought as I read the thread title and it is really annoying. :mad: I thought it was a new issue when the version with Apple Music came. Is it only in El Capitan's iTunes or also in Yosemite and older with the same iTunes version?

I did not recognize so far that's in Finder too.

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
It is definitely a bug and I have reported this several times over past months and it doesn't seem to get apple's attention. Here is my description:

If you go to a folder/place which has several folders inside so that you have to scroll down to see the very last folder. Now open that very last or the second last folder, now press back button. Here you will notice that finder will take you on the top of the page instead of keeping the focus to the last line of folders.

I have tested this is on Mavericks and Yosemite. I can confirm that in previous versions of OS, this wasn't the case! if you go inside a folder and come out by pressing back, the focus of finder stays there on same folder areawhich you came out from. Now in El Capitan, when you press back button, it scrolls to the top of the page and you have again scroll down to see those folders.

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
Right bad news!!! I have installed the latest GM release and it seems Apple have ignored all out feedback on this. It has not been fixed. I do not what else to say...

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Right bad news!!! I have installed the latest GM release and it seems Apple have ignored all out feedback on this. It has not been fixed. I do not what else to say...
Functionality-wise the GM candidate is pretty much exactly the same as beta 8. The fix may come in a later GM candidate.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Yosemite had a similar (back/forward finder) bug when first released and it took several updates for Apple to notice and fix it as I recall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.