Is this a Camera Defect?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bob616, Aug 13, 2010.

1. bob616 macrumors 6502

When I take pictures with my iPhone 4 they are very yellow and sometimes a green/blue dot will be in the center of the photo.
    Is this a known defect in the iPhone 4 and would Apple replace the phone for this?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The blue dot is a known defect and they will replace it.

3. bob616 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay good. looks like apple will be replacing a lot of stuff for me next time i visit the apple store.

iPhone 4
    iPad with dust under the screen
    and a Time capsule that randomly stops working

4. nexedzero macrumors regular

nexedzero

all three things happened at the same time ? Talk about a bad day

5. bob616 thread starter macrumors 6502

no.
    the iphone has been like that since i got it. I was just taking lots of pictures today and realized how much i disliked the yellow shots.
    i noticed the dust under my ipads screen a couple of days ago when i took it out of the house for the first time
    and the time capsule has been like that for the last couple of weeks.
    the time capsule isn't actually that bad it only happens once in a while but if i am making a trip to the apple store i might as well get it fixed.

6. chembox macrumors 6502a

My genius explained to me that he wouldn't replace iPhones that had that issue because almost all of them do.

7. punkbuy macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem with the green spot.. it's really annoying..

And no chance for me to swap out my iPhone in Austria directly without an Apple Store. -.-

It makes no sense to call Apple for exchange my iPhone as long as it's a lottery-game..

I hope it's a software issue and they gonna fix it with iOS 4.1..

8. Jayman34187 macrumors regular

Take it back to AT&T and try to worm your way out of that Apple into a Droid.

So he is saying most of the iphones are defective so he don't have to replace it. Doesn't Apple have a warranty agreement?? I thought they did

9. bluer101 macrumors regular

Its a known issue when taking photos under fluorescent lighting. They can be the long fluorescent bulbs used in office buildings or the small compact one that you use at home to save electricity.

For example: I have most of the compact bulbs through out our house for the main rooms. The only place I do not have them are the hallways and stairways. This is because its nice to have instant bright lights where need immediately. So back to my observation. I will have only our kitchen lights on (fluorescent ) and take a photo and it will produce the blue dot and yellow photo. Then reach over and turn on the hallway light (regular light bulbs) and take the same photo. That photo comes out normal white, no yellow, and no dot anywhere.

Even if you switch between the 2 lighting just with the camera on you can see the screen go from yellow tint to white and back. Just a thought if anyone wants to try it themselves.:)

Attached are photos of a white paper towel.

Attached Files:

10. trevorplease macrumors regular

Wait - how do you reproduce the yellow tint effect?

11. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

See: Post above yours...

12. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Some people just dont know how to read......or.....he REALLY wants the yellow effect, which if he knew how to read, he would know THAT too.

:confused:

This site kills me.

13. trevorplease macrumors regular

My phone doesn't have the yellow, but only the blue. No need to be a bunch of pricks.

14. Schweitzer macrumors regular

The right side of the non-yellow picture looks greenish.

15. bluer101 macrumors regular

It looks that way but thats because it the shadow of me since the light was behind me. I have taken pictures of plain white paper and no issues.

16. Schweitzer macrumors regular

Ah ok, still in the "yellow" picture there is this famous green spot in the middle.

I wouldn't mind the "yellow" color under certain light conditions because I think you can correct it with photoshop etc., but this green spot is an issue.

That's a pity because I really like the iPhone 4 pictures taken under "normal light" but this greenish spot is one of three reasons why I haven't bought an iPhone 4 yet.

17. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

Droids have this problem too, so that's bad advice. Check out this android thread: http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...Camera-Reviews-and-Issues-thread/page31?pp=15

It's a common problem with camera phones in flourescent lighting.

18. chembox macrumors 6502a

When I was playing with my old 2G, I saw the issue as well in the camera, but not as defined (probably since Apple has upped the saturation settings in the iP4)

Also, wow, the quality of those beach photos are horrendous!

19. Schweitzer macrumors regular

Great find UCLAKoolman, didn't know that other phone cameras had this issue too!

20. bluer101 macrumors regular

I just go through playing with our original iphones from 2007 and they don't have the heavy yellowing (very little yellow looks ok ) but they get the blue green blotches and not just in the center.:eek:

I just wish the iPhone 4 could take good pictures indoors as it takes outdoors. The photos outside or natural light are outstanding for a phone.:)

21. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Outside, or in natural lighting, the photos the iPhone 4 take can literally be used as my background on a 1440X900 screen! I just wish Apple would do something about the damned jiggle when taking a photo. I end up pressing the button 5 times for the best shot.