Is this a data plan Loophole for us 2G owners upgrading to iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Archon, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Archon macrumors member

It appears us 2G users/early adopters can upgrade to iPhone 4 and keep unlimited data.

However, as I read AT&Ts iPhone 4 FAQ is states:

Existing AT&T smartphone customers upgrading to iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS are not required to switch to a new plan, but can choose to do so. iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G customers can add tethering to AT&T DataPro for an additional $20 per month.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=18004&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=30863&mapcode=consumer|Wireless

Doest that mean I can keep my current data plan at $19.99 with 200 txts?

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

No definitely not. Sorry buddy.

3. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

4. AK10R macrumors regular

The thing that amazes me about this thread is that Ajuiced has not piped in telling you to do a search……. :rolleyes: Good for you.

I’m in the same boat as you when we upgrade we pay the $30 to keep the unlimited plan…..

5. dave006 Contributor

dave006

No, you will have to upgrade to the $30 Unlimited iPhone data plan and if you want SMS Txt, you will have to add one of the SMS Txt plans.

The good news is that if you want to move to one of the newer (capped) plans, you can choose one of them if they fit your needs better. Just note that once you move from the Unlimited data plan you will not be able to get it back at a later time.

Dave

6. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Sigh, it's not a loophole. The 2G phone was $20 because you are on the ultra crappy edge network only (which is so bad it should be free) and they gifted you 200 txt messages with it. When anyone went from 2G to any 3G phone (this now included the iphone 4) you were (and 2G owners are grandfathered) forced into the $30/unlimited plan which included no texts.

In short, it is not a loophole and this scenario has been around since the 3G phone came out.

7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Uh.. no. You cannot keep that plan. It was priced lower because you were on the edge network. You will be asked to sign up for new plans.

8. melman101 macrumors 68030

I don't even think he'll have the option to go to the $30 unlimited data plan. He'll probably only be able to select the newer plans.

9. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

if you get one from ebay unlocked couldn't you stay with the $20 data plan?

10. AK10R macrumors regular

This.......

11. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I take it you didn't read the link I posted above: http://consumerist.com/2010/06/hey-...-plan-and-still-get-the-unlimited-option.html

Especially, this image, where an iPhone 2G user, after June 7, just went to upgrade options when trying to purchase an iPhone 3GS. The unlimited option is still there for him, only because he's already on an unlimited plan.

Attached Files:

12. Archon thread starter macrumors member

Ah, sorry everyone for not doing a better search but thanks for the info. I can't wait for iPhone 4 after sticking it out since day one on the 2G.

13. melman101 macrumors 68030

Cool, did not click the link. My bad :).

14. Hovey macrumors regular

15. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Maybe, but it would have to be an origional 2g phone, they will not use an edge plan on a 3g devise.

I'll sell you an origional iphone on June 25th :cool:

16. clarkboy macrumors newbie

for all wondering the loophole still is open as of august 29th. However if you simply want unlimited data with a 3g or 3gs, then this is what you do. Get an original iphone IMEI number, meaning you dont even need the phone. Turn off your present iphone 3G/3GS and then call att and activate the first gen iphone IMEI number. Once this is done, tell them to activate the $20 dollar unlimited plan. Once this is done, call them right back with the 3G/3GS turned on and tell them you would like to activate a new IMEI on your line. Give them the new one and tell them that you want to be grandfathered into the unlimited data from your old iphone, the one from your old iphone contract. If they say this isnt avaible then tell them to talk to an executive about the grandfather policy. They have to do give it to you. if you follow these exact instructions then they should give you the plan, leaving you in the end with an iphone 3G or 3GS with unlimited data.

If you are trying to go to an iphone 4 from a 3gs or 3g. Then simply do the steps above but instead you have a 4g. when you get to the part with activating the 4g simply go into the store and tell them you need a new sim card because you just bought this off a friend. (make sure when you do this, you have the 2g still active on your line.) if you do they will grandfather the unlimited data and give you a new micro sim with the unlimited data. in the end you walk out of store with a new i4 with unlimited data. This way you dont have to cut and toggle with cutting a regular sim and doing all these text message things that the rest of the forums are doing. If either of these work please comment or something so that i know.

Just for reference i just did the first method with the 3gs today and it worked perfectly. and for everyone record i didnt even tough a 2g in the process i simply used my friends imei.:)