Is this a dead pixel?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Woofie2010, May 15, 2019.

1. Woofie2010 macrumors regular

Woofie2010

Hi,
    I have a 2017 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, and all of a sudden I noticed a black dot on my screen. I through it was dirt, so I cleaned the screen, but it still remains. So I through it might be a scratched, so I shown a light on it and I couldn't see a scratch.

I'm thinking its a dead pixel?? Its really small and hard to see, but I'm OCD and this is driving me nuts!

Attached Files:

2. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

Yes, that looks very much like a dead pixel. Is your MacBook Pro still covered by an Apple warranty?

3. Woofie2010 thread starter macrumors regular

Woofie2010

yes, I purchased apple care when I purchased the laptop around 1.5 years ago.
    I've read that apple won't replace the display for a single dead pixel, but I guess I could try my luck?

4. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

I would sure try. Good luck and let us know how it went.

5. Starfia macrumors 6502a

Starfia

It's difficult to tell from that photo whether it's a deal pixel or a physical obstruction. You could test by creating an image of a single white pixel on solid black and carefully nudging the pixel into that location, watching whether it disappears completely.

I lamented recently when it appeared my beautiful 27" iMac had a dead pixel. Fortunately (I suppose), it wasn't:

6. pshufd macrumors 6502a

I think that dead pixels are exceedingly rare. I've only had a dead pixels on a refurbished 2000 Dell Inspiron 4000 and an ancient Dell monitor.

Good that you have AppleCare - bring it in and get it fixed.

7. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

Dead pixels are rare especially on Mac displays. I can remember buying an off brand monitor from Best Buy some years ago that wound having about 10 or 20 dead pixels. Best Buy gave me a replacement and that too had many dead pixels. I finally gave up and asked for a refund which Best Buy did give me.

I'm not sure Apple will replace his display for one dead pixel especially since he's owned the Mac for a while. But he should try anyway.

8. Woofie2010 thread starter macrumors regular

Woofie2010

They said they are more than happy to replace it under warranty! :)

Just need to figure out when I can drop it off, as I’m a uni student, who relies on it!

9. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

Your lucky day mate! Hurry up and drop it off before they change their minds. LOL

10. Woofie2010 thread starter macrumors regular

Woofie2010

They replaced my screen and then I get home to find my Touch Bar is not working.

Take it back and say that my logic board is now faulty...

11. spidertnt macrumors member

lol...those genius bar techs must really hate the new models. So difficult to replace anything. it's about 25 screws to replace the the screen + all the ribbon cables . So easy to damage something.

When you get it back the next time ...test everything before you leave the store.