is this a dead pixel?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hafam, Aug 5, 2007.

1. hafam macrumors newbie

I just got a macbok pro for college to days ago. this is my firs mac and i love it. i just noticed the there is one little dot on the screen that won't go away. i have used the cleaners and its not moving at all. if they background is white it looks red, if its on my blue background it is black. if it is a dead pixel is there anyway to fix it? is it covered under the three year apple care? thanks.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

it sure sounds like one.

it all depends on how many dead pixel your machine has, normally u need 5~6 dead pixel to ask for replacement/repair.

But it never hurt to try to talk to applecare, see if they would offer to fix it for you.

dead pixel can not be fixed through softwares.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It sounds like a partially stuck pixel. The difference between a dead pixel and a stuck pixel is that, with a stuck pixel, some of the transistor layers (for red, green, blue) are locked in one position. Dead pixels are typically either opaque or (less frequently) fully transparent, so they appear as a white or black pixel regardless of surrounding colors.

Also, stuck pixels can sometimes be fixed via software (what happened is that one of the transistors is "stuck," and repeatedly flipping it back and forth between on and off can unstick it), whereas dead pixels can almost never be fixed.

Try this:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20962

4. hafam thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks a lot for your help guys. i left the pixel flashing box over the dot for about 10 minutes. it is still there but i noticed that if it stopped it while it was dark\solid red,blue, or black it was no longer there. the other color was a light green and it was still there. it still was on a dark green i found online and any light color of blue\red ect. if it were a dead pixel would it be there no matter what color?

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

As far as I understand the classic definition, yes. I think it might take somewhat longer for the pixel fixer thing to work... it's quite safe to turn the screensaver off and let it run for several hours.

There are also some other techniques that can be worth trying:

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Stuck-Pixel-on-an-LCD-Monitor

6. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

yup. you hit the nail on the head with that post!