Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

I have the chance to get an older unibody aluminum macbook pro for $650. I haven't had one in a while so I'm not sure if this is a good value or not. I'm hoping you can give me some advice.

It's for the 13 inch model 2.26ghz, stock - 2gb memory, 160gb, etc.

It hasn't been used much at all - some light scratches, but nothing major. The battery has less than 20 cycles on it. It's just for the macbook pro and the charger. I know the person who is selling it, but he lost/got rid of the box etc. as he moved, but he's honest. Unfortunately the warranty has expired.

Do you think this is a decent deal, or do you think that the newer models are worth the extra cost?

Thanks!

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
That sounds like a pretty good deal to me, I'd go for it. You may want to spend the extra few bucks to get 4GB ram and/or a bigger hard drive

brucem91

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2009
$650 for that, I would get it. Though the lack of warranty scares me. However, (as I recently experienced), the most likely that will ever break will be the HDD, or possibly SuperDrive. HDD is super easy and cheapish to replace, and the superdrive is a little more complicated but still doable. I also agree that you may want to upgrade to 4 GB of RAM. My stepdad is currently rocking my old 2.0 GHz MBu 2 GB RAM, and I loved the thing when I had it. The 13" is very nice for travel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.