Is this a defect entitling me to a warranty replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dealz888, Dec 10, 2013.

1. dealz888 macrumors newbie

Wondering if anyone has any opinion -- I just bought a used 4S on eBay still under Apple warranty, and I just noticed something weird with the earpiece on the handset. It looks as though there is a clear plastic screen protector that was installed off-center, but there is no screen protector. I'm going to try to post an image here. I'm wondering if I would be eligible for a replacement iPhone under Apple's warranty coverage for manufacturing defects?

Attached Files:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Looks ok to me. I'd say you're really pushing the envelope to try to get that replaced. I think the apple genius will test the phone out to see if it works as it should and hand it back to you

3. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

that's just light reflection. 100% normal to see this on white iPhones.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I don't think that's worthy of a replacement. As long as it works like its supposed to, there is no problem to contend with that I can see.

5. dealz888 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for your opinions. I don't think it's just light reflection though because definitely the sharper ring in the image (lower right ring) belongs to a piece of plastic which isn't perfectly centered around the earpiece. The same misalignment appears around the home button too.

Is it possible the glass was replaced by an iPhone repair person and they did a crappy job? Is there a definitive way to know if the glass was ever replaced?

6. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

It is light reflection. Observe my new 5s.

Attached Files:

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You could go to Apple and ask them if the glass is authentic. It sounds like you're looking for any reason to replace the phone you just bought. What you're seeing is normal as far as I can tell. Take some close ups of the top edges. That may help.

8. Merkie macrumors 68020

I'm 100% sure that it is light reflection. Look at the ear piece from different angles.

9. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Just a reflection. Rotate 360 Degrees under the light and you will see that it is just the way the light is hitting it. :apple:

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not saying this is the OP, but I've seen cases where people buy an old iPhone with warranty (but a bad ESN) and then go to apple for warranty work and get it replaced with a refurb and a good ESN.

11. dealz888 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, yes you're right! Rotating it did the trick for me. How very strange...a real optical illusion.

Thanks for all the help!

12. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Sheese man, go looking for problems and you will never be happy.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Next time put it under a microscope and maybe you will find more tiny imperfections so you can bring it back.
    Then get a replacement with other issues and keep going back every few days.
    No worries, there is medical and psychiatric treatment available for this type of condition though;)

14. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Yep, part of it is a refleaction off the back of the screen face glass.

15. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

It looks like a third party glass installed as a replacement that isn't perfect.

16. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

No.