Is this a factory unlocked iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by benhollberg, Aug 17, 2011.

1. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I am looking at buying a factory unlocked iPhone 4 and my friend told me about her friend that is selling one. I don't know the person and they say it is unlocked, when I asked if it was jailbroken unlocked or factory then she said she didn't know. I believe she bought it from AT&T so I doubt it is factory unlocked.

Just to be sure I got the model number, I tried figuring out if it is AT&T or unlocked but couldn't find out. I even called the local Apple store and the guy couldn't tell me, he said he can't find it in the system. Google searching proves there is a model number iPhone with this number but doesn't say if AT&T or not.

The model number is MC610LL. If anyone could please identify this for me somehow that would be great.

2. edk99 macrumors 6502a

If she bought it from ATT then it is 100% not factory unlocked.

In the US Apple just started selling factory unlocked iPhones so unless she bought it recently odds are it is not factory unlocked. Only other way it would be factory unlocked if she bought it from another country where they sell factory unlocked phones.

3. benhollberg, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

That's what I thought also. I asked so many questions on the phone because I was doubting it so much.

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

99.999% chance it is a black iphone 4 ( 32 GB ) locked to AT&T. AT&T does not sell unlocked iPhones or offer to unlock any iPhone.

The only way to be 100% certain any iPhone is a "factory" unlocked unit is to restore as "new" and if it is Unlocked as soon as you connect to iTunes.

The unlock/lock status is based on each iPhone's IMEI / Serial Number as registered in Apple Server DB.

Dave

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm Not Sure You Can

In the US, but here in the uK I bought mine from Apple, unlocked. Had tom order the microsim from my provider, but I guess you guys are kind of tied in to ATT or Verizon.

iPhones can be unlocked without hassle or damage though.

You could check eBay......maybe even Amazon would have an unlocked one.

Seems unfair that you can't choose provider, and contract.

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

7. dave006 macrumors 68020

In the US as of mid June, Apple began to sell an unlocked iPhone 4 for $649 / $749 without a Micro-SIM.

Yes, it seems unfair but that is what the market created here in the US, customers got used to getting a free or cheap phone by signing up for a 2 year contract.

The worst part is that here in the US, we can't get any iPhone unlocked once your contract commitment is over. Other phones, no problem just call and you can get the unlock code. Yes, there a hacks that work for specific versions of the firmware but Apple keeps breaking that with updates so that makes it a game.

8. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

That's what I am thinking. This girl on the phone thinks I am stupid, explaining all this stuff about AT&T and Verizon and that, its quite ironic.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

She's trying to BS you.
    I'd walk away, people like her will take your money and then play dumb.

10. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

It's funny that she thought she could trick me, well I guess most people wouldn't go to this much trouble. The funniest part was the said that they are going to $500 on the local classifieds so the wanted $550.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Yeah, good luck tell her.

12. ano0oj, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2011

ano0oj macrumors 6502

and if you can...get a tmobile sim card and stick it in there...if it works then buy it!

13. dave006 macrumors 68020

That would just validate that the iPhone is currently unlocked. It might be just a software unlock hack and a simple restore of the latest firmware or upgrading to iOS 5 shortly could just lock it back to AT&T until yet another hack is available. :mad: :eek:

The only way to be 100% certain any iPhone is a "factory" unlocked unit is to restore as "new" and if it is Unlocked as soon as you connect to iTunes.

Dave