Is this a Fair MacBook Price?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by M-5, Jun 10, 2009.

1. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I'm selling my 2.2 GHz, 160GB, 4 GB Ram MacBook (January 2008) to a friend for $800.

I told him that he won't be able to run anything graphic intensive because of the integrated graphics card, but he said he would only be playing Sims, and StarCraft, but I want to know if he would be able to run these without problems.

I bought this computer in January 2008, but he's worried that it's a little too old and won't last him throughout college. He will only be doing the occasional Sims game, Web surfing, and word processing.

Do you think it's a good purchase for him? Obviously he's buying it from me, but I don't want to feel like I'm cheating him out.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

considering apple has under full warranty...

Refurbished MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - White

13.3-inch glossy widescreen display
    2GB memory
    160GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Built-in iSight camera

$899.00

Save $250.00
    21% off

You'd have to check if this is the Nvidia vs. Intel, but a few dollars more for the Nvidia over the intel chipset would likely be worth it.

3. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I'm doing the EXACT same thing right now, with near identical specs (2.1GHz, 4GB RAM, 120GB HD) for $800.

But I am selling it with Sims 3, iWork and iLife '08, and Adobe Photoshop CS4.

I don't know about StarCraft, but Sims 3 works fine assuming you have the Intel X3100 integrated card like I do on my old MacBook.

4. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

Those are seriously overpriced macbooks... considering that you can get the NEW 2.23 macbooks w/ 9400m for 1000 and get a free ipod (-230) and 1 year warranty.

I wouldn't sell a macbook to a friend for that price, maybe to a stranger :p

5. M-5 thread starter macrumors 65816

M-5

6. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Well, mine has $450+ of legitimate software on it, and my friend can't pay all up front so we are using a payment system, and you can't do that through Apple unless you have a credit card, which you cannot get at the buyers age.

EDIT: And also, a new iPod Touch 8GB is not worth $230. Find me an eBay auction where a NIB iPod Touch 8GB 2nd gen went for $230+. I sold one of mine for NIB $200, and the other for used $190.

EDIT2: Also, the $450 of the software on my MacBook I am selling is going to be used completely by the buyer. They need iWork for school, CS4 for school (They will be in Photoshop II this year, I'll be in Photoshop I), and Sims 3 because they are a Sims addict. And I mean addict.

So this is $450 more they would have spent, and at that rate essentially the MacBook is selling for $350.

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

8. maudioguitarris macrumors newbie

both of you guys are selling overpriced macbooks - not because of lack of quality or capacity... but because there are newer models available for basically the same amount. not to mention, the refurbished units... certified by apple themselves. i'd feel bad for your friend if he wasn't willing to dish an extra 150 or so to get a newer model that will last him for a longer while - not to mention the difference in looks, performance and graphics card - since he is a sims addict..he'd benefit from those nvidia models. be honest with your friend, and if he still decides to buy yours, live with no guilt.if he was a stranger then i'd understand how you'd just like to do business and sell it as fast as you can, but it's a friend.

9. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

eBay is where one will get the highest prices for a macbook, because of all the competition going on. There is noplace else for someone to get as much money for them then on eBay.

I sold a 2.4 GHz one with a 120 GB HD, and 2 GB of memory five months ago for $750.

$800 for that in person to a friend is crazy.

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

If I were the OP's friend I wouldn't buy it for that price. You can get a new Macbook brand new for $949 education price with free iPod Touch or even $999 brand new with a warranty and an updated GPU. The OP's Macbook is 18 months old, IMO it's not worth $800.00.

11. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

While I agree, keep in mind the OP is also throwing in some high priced software titles. If you absolutely need both then it's something to consider I suppose.

12. M-5 thread starter macrumors 65816

M-5

So I didn't end up selling my computer to my friend. Instead, I ended up selling it to someone else who I know from school but didn't really talk to. He bought it for $750, so it seems like it went well.

13. ml2k1 macrumors member

wow, so you ended up selling it $50 less to a stranger than what you intended to sell to your friend? I feel bad for your friend...seriously... :rolleyes: