Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rock15478

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
I have a friend who has the Mid 2011 Mac Mini Server (the one with 2 hard drives and a 2 GHz Intel Core i7 Processor). He upgraded it to 8GB of RAM a few years ago.

He is willing to trade it to me for my Early 2011 13" Macbook Pro (2.3 GHz Intel Core i5) with just has the stock 4GB of RAM.

Mine currently has a 1TB SSD but I would be taking it out before making the trade (His currently has a 128 GB SSD but he'd also be taking that drive out. He'd leave in the 1TB 7200RPM second hard drive).

Does this seem fair? Would you do the trade if you were in my shoes? Basically, I'm finding that most of my work is done at a computer desk and I'd probably prefer a little more horsepower that I'd get with the server. However, I'm not sure if I would miss the portability of the MBP.

I know I should maybe think about upgrading to a newer machine at some point but frankly - it runs everything I need it to and I love having Firewire, Thunderbolt, Ethernet, etc.. all built in without needing any goofy adapters. The only thing I'd be losing is the optical drive, however he did say he'd throw in an external optical drive if that was my main hold-up for not wanting to do the trade.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Do the trade, get the optical drive if you need it.
Put the 1TB SSD in, and you can use the 1TB HDD as an internal time machine drive for fast backups.
Additionally get the OS X server app on it if you have any need for permanent services and you'll have a great setup.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Seems fairly acceptable they'll be worth about the same second hand but new the MBP was a more expensive bit of kit.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Don't bother with the OSX Server app unless you have a network of Mac to manage. A complete waste of time for a single machine (or even a small network).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.