Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macpropro80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Ok technically its not a mac pro, but you guys seem like the only mac users who actually know a lot about hardware. I decided that my linux box would look really cool if i stripped the case down so there is no top, side front, or back panels, just the frame. Is it a fire hazard to have the power supply exposed? its still attached to the frame, there is just nothing around it. And the computer is in a desk.

I don't want it to catch fire because my mac pro and my screens are on/next to the desk and I don't want them to get damaged in a fire.

(i don't care if my linux box dies, it used to be a pc, and thus is guilty of war crimes. (Mac vs. PC war))

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Hmmm ... inside a desk, simple things like paperclips and staples can cause a problem.

But most cases are designed to be wind tunnels to move air in and out, so a naked frame might not be as optimal for keeping machine cool.

If it was just stripped of the plastic and the metal box remained it likely wouldn't be as bad since that is more of a cosmetic application over box.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
dust magnet + electricity = well, maybe not a fire hazard, but seems to like you're playing with, well, fire.

and, like was already posted, the inside of these boxes are set up like wind tunnels, and the lack of a shell certainly affects the way air moves through the components.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
Agreeing with others, dust seems to be your biggest issue here. I would keep it with the case.

Macpropro80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
dust magnet + electricity = well, maybe not a fire hazard, but seems to like you're playing with, well, fire.

and, like was already posted, the inside of these boxes are set up like wind tunnels, and the lack of a shell certainly affects the way air moves through the components.

I guarantee this case is not like that, it was def. designed in like 2 seconds. Its an ASUS!

sboerup

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
Yes, a case is designed to move air through it. Having no back pressure or a way to control it makes it very inefficient. It also saves you from paperclips, screws and the occasional soda from spilling and frying your board.

Macpropro80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Yes, a case is designed to move air through it. Having no back pressure or a way to control it makes it very inefficient. It also saves you from paperclips, screws and the occasional soda from spilling and frying your board.

Ok, I took your advise and put it back together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.