Is this a genuine Apple case

DragosB.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2019
A3E094B0-E700-40C5-856A-AFC220DEB6A9.jpeg
E7064018-5FD2-486C-AB11-FECC76B839DC.jpeg
Because it has a strange smell and the box looks less premium than a 7+ leather case box.
3FCEBA56-79A3-4FFC-BD5F-B1DA72F6993B.jpeg

NikkoTuason

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2018
The quality of the box is very questionable, but the info and printing look genuine. Does it feel the same as your 7+’s case?

Reactions: DragosB.

DragosB.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2019
Thanks all for your answers. I went today to an Apple partner and they showed me an original one to compare with mine and turns out that mine is fake.

DragosB.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2019
The box was made with los cost materials, the Apple logo from the original case was a little bit deeper on the original one, the text from interior case is more legible on the original one and the interior material has a darker color on the fake one.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Yup, I was right.

I once bought an "authentic" Apple leather case for my old 6 Plus on Amazon for about $16 (this was last year btw). The box was spot on, the interior looked identical and even the creases/stamping of the interior microfiber/leather split was exact. But I knew it was fake by how it felt and wore in later on--it stained differently, the leather felt weird at times depending on humidity and the apple logo was very faint and not as embossed as an original in photos. I also noticed tiny things like one speaker hole would be slightly covered by one of the bottom corners.

It was scary close in comparison--the only way I found out was later on but I just said screw it. This time, I bought a real one at Best Buy for my 8 Plus. It was expensive but I KNOW it's real and as time goes by the leather is a joy to feel and use and definitely has a more authentic feel of leather weathering.

Be careful, even I almost got fooled.

Reactions: DragosB.