is this a good backup plan?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cfs, Sep 4, 2011.

1. cfs macrumors 6502a

hi all,

i am currently doing some maintenance and reconfiguring the way i do things for backup storage.

in the past i used a 500 gb external HD and put three partitions on it (free space, carbon copy cloner, time machine). I just bought a second external hd to keep off site but will partition it the same way. does this make?

thanks,

cfs

2. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

Just wonder whether its feasible to do online these days...

3. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Do you have the upload to do it? For photos and documents yes I do, but my music and video collection? It would take me a year running 24/7 to upload it all.

4. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

5. waynep macrumors 6502

3 2 1 backups . . . 3 copies, 2 different media types, 1 off site.

I do the following:
    • Time Machine to a Time Capsule
    • Carbon Copy Cloner about once a week
    • Mozy online backup. I have 90 GB uploades, all my music and pictures. Took about two weeks to upload it all.

The offsite copy counts as a different type of media. It's online. Yes they may use disks at their data center but online counts as different than local disk as a media type for this purpose.

6. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

There are services that will ship you a disk that you copy to and send back, to get the initial "upload" started.

You may also find that say, music is feasible and video not, so do what you can. If they are commercial videos, then offline arguable isnt needed anyway.