is this a good battery life for my 3 month old mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djarpit, Oct 17, 2009.

1. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Sure. Looks like you use the battery every day-ish, so that's about right.

2. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

this looks good...but 95 cycles in 3 months!awesome:rolleyes:

if i were you i'd be using my mac plugged in most of the time if i can...it would mean less battery cycles...which means more battery life :)
    if you use you mac at home, always use it while its charging...(well if you can...)

cheers

3. misterine macrumors member

4. ivnj macrumors 65816

Cool this is just what I needed thanks. So where did you guys download coconut battery from and is it free?

5. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

here:)

6. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

ahem...not entirely true...the battery should have a weekly (or monthly) discharge cycle....keeping it plugged in all the time reduces battery life...

7. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Ahem... not entirely true...yes you should discharge it often to keep the energy, 'fresh'...But keeping it plugged in doesn't reduce battery life, as the Magsafe stops charging until it drops back to 95% charge.

8. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

exactly my point...i said..keepin it plugged in all the time does reduce battery charge...even though the MBP hovers around the 95% mark...it is still not enough....If I had realized this before...today I would not have a MBP battery able to hold just 40% charge at 190 cycles....

Weekly/Monthly cycles to discharge the battery completely goes a long way....

9. peto01 macrumors member

10. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

This is on a 6 month old UMBP 17. I use it plugged in most of the time, and only occasionally run it off battery.

Tom

Attached Files:

11. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

You see the error there in the lower part, right? The current is set to higher than the original.

12. djarpit thread starter macrumors regular

thanks will be of much help

i am gonna try to leave it plugged most of the time now

13. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

seems to be a glitch with Coconut, mine reads that way too and when my battery was 13050 mAh and the original capacity @ 1300 mAh

14. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Yeah, CoconutBattery probably wasn't ready for 5 digits in that field.

15. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

Yah, the error in Coconut Battery confused me at first, then I started to read about some problems that people had with it. I just ignore the oddity and check it once in a while. I run off battery maybe 15-20 minutes per day, and discharge once every 5 weeks or so.

Tom

16. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, use it plugged in at ALL TIMES! it will help you! I got the 13" MBP when it first came out (4 months ago). My battery is at 99 with 112 charge cycles. I use it plugged in during the day and in the evenings I run it off battery for about 2 hours. Keeping it plugged in helps your battery sooooo much!

17. ivnj macrumors 65816

Coconut just quits and does not even show any numbers. Just green bars. Found this other program on version tracker and it works. But no info an all zeros. Is 272 cycles normal for a dead battery?

Attached Files:

18. dvrmstrng macrumors 6502

do you use your computer a lot?
    i have 70 more load cycles, what does this mean?

19. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

what does what mean? the amount of more cycles? well it means you probably dont keep it plugged in all the time, you post more use on your battery; a cycle accounts for the % and amount of charge/recharges it goes through from 100%. (Ie, 100% -> 80% back upto 100% -> 70% ->70% would be a full cycle, any varient that charges/recharges X amount of time)

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

I use my system ALOT, its usually powered on 24/7 and runs on the magsafe adapter about 99% of the time...even when i dont use it at home.
    i have a 100% battery capacity, and lasts the amount of time its advertised to do so when using on battery power.

keeping the adapter plugged in helps keep the life of the battery consistent and doing smaller dischargers over time generally keeps it stable and refreshed instead of full or large discharge/recharges from my experience.

20. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

Monday-Thursdays about 4 hours per
    Fridays 1 hour
    Saturdays 7 hours
    Sundays 5 hours

So, 29 hours a week. And to answer your other question, assume it means a complete charge/discharge (100% mah consumption/replenishment, but I could be wrong).

Tom

21. Meljackson macrumors newbie

Mine must be pretty bad then. It says 96% for a 6 week old with 11 cycles.

Melissa

22. Meljackson macrumors newbie

Now I'm down to 93% at 12 cycles. What's going on?

23. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

Just a guess, but try calibrating. Run your mbp on battery with no power saving features and let it turn off. Keep it turned off and unplugged for 4 hours or even overnite. Plug back in and recharge and see what happens.

hope this helps.

Tom