Is this a good buy for a G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Needles2, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Needles2 macrumors newbie

Hi, i live in the UK and would like to buy a mac but don't have much money . i found this at school, is it a good deal?

POWER MAC G5
    PROCESSOR (SINGLE) 1.6GHZ
    RAM 2.5GB
    HARD DRIVE (2009) 300GB
    OPERATING SYSTEM 10.4 TIGER
    WEIGHT: 17.8KG
    £200 ( pick up only)

please let me know as i don';t want to waste my money.

2. Athonline macrumors member

PowerMac G5s are 2003 to 2006 models. Not only you are buying a 5 years old Mac -which may work- but it still is a PowerPC architecture computer. Apple dropped it in 2006 and with the recent release of OS X Lion completely. If you want to give 200 pounds for a computer with no applications or any kind of software available to it, expect some old pre-2006 versions then go ahead!:p If you really want the best for your money save some more and get a 2008-2009 iMac or Macbook from eBay.

3. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

4. MacHamster68, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

everything is ok but the price is a bit steep for the single core 1.6 as its the first generation of G5's and as it was a school computer it had not a easy life i suppose.

Here thats about a really fair price -->here and a fair description and i have seen worse case conditions sold as fantastic condition , and it leaves you money leftover too for a brandnew harddrive 1 Tb cost about £50 and installing one in a G5 is easy and you still got money left for ram upgrade and Graphics card upgrade , but for that you can keep your time too and use it as is, it works thats important ,
    if you live close to his location a great deal , but ebay is at the moment full with low priced G5 PowerMac's..they will pick up again before christmas and most G5's are because of the weight pickup only, but its worth asking if they would ship if you pay for it

some come even with warranty 6 month and free delivery and cost not much more then £200
    this one here its one of the last made in 2005 a 2.0 dual core

5. hariwanna macrumors newbie

I'm a former owner of a G5 iMac and my advice is that if you can afford to upgrade to a newer iMac, that would be the way to go.

Apple just announced they are no longer supporting your OS for security updates. Going forward your G5 is obsolete in terms of security, up to date applications and modern browser use. Rather than spend more to upgrade your G5, trade up to a newer Intel iMac, preferably with at least a Core 2 Duo processor.

I good pricing guide for trading used Macs is at www.mac2sell.net They can show you values in your home country currency.

6. MacHamster68, Sep 18, 2011

MacHamster68

the worst security hole in OSX is the nut in front of the keyboard

7. RickyB macrumors regular

I'd go for a Mac mini. Make sure it has at least an Intel Core 2 Duo and it'll be fine.

Alternatively get a MacBook. I got a 2008 one recently on eBay for £250. Again, get a Core 2 Duo or newer.

Something like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Mac..._Laptops_ET&hash=item1c1f10e473#ht_9303wt_922 although this particular one may end up out of your price range, you may get something similar at a price you cam afford.

8. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have a 2008 Macbook. I was tempted by the new Macbook Pros, iMacs and even the new minis. In the end I popped in more RAM (4G total) and a new hdd (Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB 7200RPM/4GB SSD). I now have what "feels like" a new machine. It's tough for me to go without Applecare but the only time I've needed it was just after I bought Lion and 90 days support comes with Lion. So I'll just see how my luck plays out for the next year or so.

I also have an old G4 mini. It's kinda forlorn sitting there with an OS twice removed from the rest of our Macs. But in a pinch it works just fine. Leopard is no slouch of an OS, but you are stuck with FF 3.6.22 and Chrome 8.something or older. If you get a "great deal" there is nothing wrong with a PPC Mac. Just keep in mind that an Intel Mac will give you more years of use.

9. MacHamster68, Sep 18, 2011

MacHamster68

put tenfourfox browser on its so far the only still in development for PPC and is based on mozilla source code and equals firefox 4 ,5,6 respectively ,ok on the later version there is no flash support any more because the source code from mozilla or so would need flash 10.3 to run and ppc Mac's can only get 10.1 .
    , but hey i heard that the iPad works quiet well for surfing without flash support and is a new device .

so and now to the rest
    What annoys me every time i read those posts about PPC Mac's and if they are any good .
    It is only 1 single tasks running flashplayer they are no good at any more and its not even their fault . They have NO problems with the 50000 other tasks you can do on a computer .
    For private home use it does not make a difference if you write a letter with office 2004 or office 2011 , it does not make a difference if you use photoshop cs4 or photoshop cs5 , its only some who think they always need the latest and greatest even for home use , and thats ok as long as you can afford it , but there are millions out ther who cant , and for them PPC Mac's still have lots of live in them , ok you might need to circumvent the flashproblem , but thats only a little challenging as its easy to find a solution
    and they cant run new OS's ...whos fault is that , Apples alone
    Apple wants to dictate when we should have enough cash to buy a new one and for the old Mac Apple has has only one solution and that to dump your 3 year old Mac on the nearest scrapyard no matter if its still working or not , if you have to keep a Mac longer then Apple care you are no worthy to own Mac's at all in the eyes of Apple

10. AdrianK macrumors 68020

That's a really bad deal, you really aren't get much for your money at all. As others have said, if you can find an intel Mac in your price range then then it's best to go for it.

Oh my, I hardly ever seen >=1GHz G4s on eBay <£100. Someone's getting a good deal there.