Is this a good buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jjones24, Aug 15, 2013.

1. jjones24 macrumors newbie

I'm pretty new to Apple products but I need a laptop since I'm moving out and I thought I'd jump on the Macbook Pro bandwagon. I was looking on Craigslist and I found a late 2011 Macbook Pro 13'' being sold for $720. Of course, being new to Macbooks and such, I didn't know if this was a good deal or not.

Here are the specs:

Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
    Software OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)

If there's anything else you guys need to know, I'll be glad to tell you. I need a laptop asap so I'd appreciate any help or advice. Thanks! :)

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

A quick way to get an indication whether a price is fair or not is to check www.refurb.me for a similar machine. The machine most similar to yours is selling from Apple for $929 right now so it would appear the craigslist seller is at least offering it for a fair price.

I prefer not to buy computers from strangers. I would be especially worried about your situation since you are new to Macs and don't know what to look for to make sure the machine is in good shape. It's worth spending a little more to have a company stand behind your purchase. The best track record for backing purchases is Apple. Others not so much. If I had to choose between Frys, MC, Bestbuy "insurance" and AppleCare, I always pick Applecare. There is nothing stopping you from buying a machine from Frys or MC and then going back (in less than a year) to pick up Applecare (unless you are buying a used machine for which Applecare isn't available, be sure to check before you buy).

I prefer buying from Microcenter, Frys, Apple or even BestBuy. MC, Frys and BestBuy all have Apple products for some discount from time to time and I know MC offers older (sometimes MUCH older) Apple products at a steep discount. For instance, MC has several Macbook Pros below $750 right now but they are all older than the machine you are considering.

I got my 15 in MBP from MC, new in box for less than what it was going for on the Apple refurb site.

3. Ralphalph, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013

Ralphalph macrumors member

Ralphalph

Seems like a good price, but I agree with the other poster that there are inherent risks to buying without a warranty that you might want to avoid where this will be your only computer. That is, unless you have another chunk of change sitting in the bank for if this one craps out unexpectedly due to an undisclosed defect or damage.

For example, you can get a newer model (2012) for $999. Obviously you then also have to pay tax. But it allows for you to get a 1 year warranty and the opportunity to purchase applecare for your computer, which may make the additional cost worth it. You would also get a better graphics card and a new revision processor (although an i5, you may want to look into a graphics comparo).

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD101LL/A/refurbished-macbook-pro-25ghz-dual-core-intel-i5

Personally, I bought a 15" Macbook Pro refurbished back in they day (late 2008 model). Within the first year of purchase various things went and in the end I wound up having the logic board and screen replaced under warranty. At repair costs this would have meant a new computer. After the repair, the computer has been fine and runs like a champ 4 years later. But, because these repair problems can easily arise, the warranty is pretty important to protect your investment, particularly if you will not have the funds on hand to just buy a new one later down the road.

4. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

For me.....

that is a slightly good deal, based only in price and provided the computer dont have cosmetic or functional issues.

But I am here echoing the other posters. Maybe you can be best served with a refurb from a reputable vendor, just in case some problem arise....Good luck with your purchase.....:D

:):apple: