Is This A Good Buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shutitdown, Dec 2, 2008.

1. shutitdown macrumors newbie

shutitdown

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I really don't get your first question...

But for the Black MacBook, that seems to be a pretty good deal for getting one brand new.

3. shutitdown thread starter macrumors newbie

shutitdown

Im sorry if its confusing. For example, the link I posted offers a 2.4Ghz processor but the new "old" macbooks for sale on apple.com only come in 2.1Ghz. Why is that?

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Oh ok, well thats because the one that Apple is still offering is the low end MacBook, so the original 2.1Ghz model. They stopped manufacturing the White and Black 2.4Ghz models.

Hope that helps answer your question.

5. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I suppose it's a decent deal, but just keep in mind that the technology is already almost a year old and they already have a new model out. If you're a first time buyer you'd be better off getting the new base model. In just about all cases you'd be better off getting a new base model.

6. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

7. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

I think reading Mac forums and posting questions is doing research.
    If your going to post, say something useful, otherwise don't bother posting.
    If you want to act like a jerk, join a different website. It's people like you who are ruining Macrumors. All the newbies with attitudes.

OP
    The MacBooks only went up to 2.4Ghz. That black MacBook is a pretty decent deal, since it's only $100 more than the 2.1Ghz white MacBook.

If you can afford the $1299 for the new unibody Aluminiun 2.0 Ghz MacBook, then get that one. Depending what you are using it for you might not ever notice the speed difference 2.4 VS 2.0

I would definitely buy the black 2.4Ghz over the white 2.1Ghz, definitely worth the $100 for faster processor, extra 1GB of ram, and double the hard drive space. Depending where you live and who you buy from, the price may only be $30 difference when you count tax.

Good Luck

8. descartes macrumors 6502

decent deal if you want the blackbook. but I agree with others that you might as well save up and get the new alum version if for anything greater resale value.

9. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I am sorry if you think I am being a jerk. I asked him if he couldn't do his own research. I did not instruct him.

I know as someone who uses this forum regularly, I get tired of frivolous threads and posts. "Should I walk my dog today?", "it's raining, should I take out the trash?". If "regulars" weren't so eager to help newbies then, maybe they would search more for themselves.

To OP, here are some links for you.

10. iOrlando macrumors 68000

thats an old macbook...

why are people jumping at these things (is it the cheap price?) I mean there are new macbooks that are just better now out and yes the minimal is 1299, but i mean why downgrade just to save a 100 or 150 bucks?

if you want to get an older macbook now..just get a refurb.

11. shutitdown thread starter macrumors newbie

shutitdown

One thing I've is the first model to come out isn't the best time to buy. I feel buying a maxed previous model wouldn't be a bad idea and the specs would be similar to the base new model. Well, you get what you pay for so I think I might drop $1800 on a maxed new model Macbook. Cant be a bad place to start, right?

12. shutitdown thread starter macrumors newbie

shutitdown

A downgrade would mean im coming from something better. I dont think you understand im coming from an 04 HP Pavillion.. it would be an upgrade either way. just one one is cheaper. just want to see if the performance is that different.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Welcome to the forum and to the world of Mac. Feel free to post questions and air thoughts; those who wish to respond will do so. Those who don't, won't. All of us were once newbies, and indeed, first time purchasers of Macs, and it is a major purchase in these straitened times, so is a perfectly legitiamte question to pose.

Either way, you'll be getting an excellent computer. Essentially, it's two trade offs; between an excellent and attractive competitive price for the old MB (and here, I agree with the number of posters who argue for the black MB; in terms of value, it's a very compelling package), and the stunning design and modern technology of the new, and between something new which costs a bit more and the older model, which is extremely attractively-priced. Whichever you choose, you'll get Apple's warranty and will have the opportunity to add Applecare to the mix, should you wish to do so. If finance is an issue, choose the old black MB; if money is no object, go for the new MB.

Cheers and good luck