is this a good choice for hard-drive upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Junk DNA, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Junk DNA macrumors regular

Junk DNA

So, my MBP is a just over a year old and the original 160Gb drive is just about bursting at the seems.

I'm thinking of upgrading the drive to a:

Western Digital Scorpio Black 320GB 7200RPM

is this a decent choice ????

I've done a couple googles on the upgrade process and it seems reasonable straight forward - but anything in particular I should be careful about

also, I want to use the spare drive as an external one, any suggestions about which enclosure I shoudl get for it ???

thanks in advance

2. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

The reviews and comments on that drive are fairly good. A couple of thoughts:
    1) I use the Seagate 320 GB 7200 rpm drive, and the benchmarks are fairly similar.
    2) Others may suggest getting a 500 GB 5400 rpm drive if storage size is your priority.

3. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

3) You could wait a few weeks and get a 500GB 7200RPM and get the best of both worlds.

4. Junk DNA thread starter macrumors regular

Junk DNA

Really? Is a new WD drive on the way ?

5. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

6. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

7. Junk DNA thread starter macrumors regular

Junk DNA

thanks for the replies

I've just ordered the
    Western Digital Scorpio Black 320GB 7200RPM

the new seagate was tempting, but I want to do the upgrade this weekend, and I'm pretty sure the new drive will last atleast a couple of years before its anywhere near full and by then hopefully I can a new MBP :)

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I've got the same HD as the OP, and have no regrets about it. I can 'feel' a difference on boot ups, cold app launches, and more disk intensive activities.

BB just dropped the price of the drive down to $150.00, so I would guess that newer ones are on the way. I'd also rather pay a premium from a brick and mortar store than online in order to be able to instantly exchange it if it turned out to be a dud.

9. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Dropped to 150? Jeez, I bought it online a few days ago for $84.10 shipped!

10. akbc macrumors 6502

I use the WD Scorpio Black 320GB 7200RPM drive on my Unibody MBP.

It's pretty great, and it's an overall solid hard drive.

I got mine for ~$90 shipped to my door.. and that's Canadian Dollar too :)

11. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

oh man, where'd you order your's from? I got a 320 7200 from CanadaRAM and it was 110 plus shipping. That said I lumped it in with an order for a bunch of other stuff, so shipping wasn't too bad, but still 90$CAD is pretty good.

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If you'd rather save a couple of bucks and wait a week or two on a replacement if you get a dud, fine.

13. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

If I get a dud they can send me a new one, for free, and I'll get it in 4 days. And it's still about half of what you paid :)

14. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

And I could get to the BB store in 20 minutes. Your point again, other than the fact you like to argue?

15. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

So because I refute an exaggerated claim by you on the length of time it'd take to receive a replacement if -- by some minute chance -- the drive I received was actually DOA, I'm the one who likes to argue? If you really want an argument, here goes.

All your "argument" shows is the lack of solid ground upon which it is built since the only reason you offer to pay twice as much as something is worth is so you don't have to wait for a replacement if it is actually defective (well, I guess you do get that nice plastic yellow Best Buy bag and the ironic air of ignorance somehow mixed with condescension from the employees along with your purchase).

I find it hard to believe a rational person paying with his or her own money would adopt the same viewpoint as you.

16. areusche macrumors regular

areusche

Just a word of advice concerning a hard drive upgrade:

I started a thread where I upgraded my HD to a 500gb internal drive. It definitely made a difference in terms of space, however my computer now runs hotter. For example if I play some Zombie Panic! Source or Sim City 4 the machine will register 140-150 degrees Fahrenheit (or 60-65 Celcius) which to me is a lot hotter then it was running before.

It is quite spuratic and will stay at a normal temperature for quite a long time. Right now my mac is at 100 F, but I doubt it'll stay that long the second I start playing any game.

Your results might vary, and don't let this discourage you from getting a new HD. If a hotter computer is what I get for getting gobs of space then so be it!

Edit:

Ouch man that's harsh! While the manner in which he posted wasn't very nice, neither was this!

I ran to best buy and paid 100$ for a 500gb 3.5in drive when my computer was failing. I needed the drive right then and there to backup my stuff and be able to keep working!

Other then that premium for stuff right there, I will never ever buy anything in a brick and mortar store. The difference online isn't a couple of bucks, it normally a lot more since the mark up in Best Buy isn't something to even bother with.

17. Junk DNA thread starter macrumors regular

Junk DNA

well I carried out the upgrade today using the ifixit guide. Was surprised how simple it all was (I'm never done anything like this before) - took me about 50 mins in all

Did a clean install of leopard and am now moving all my data back.

first impressions:
    totally silent drive - i dumping tones of data on it but can not hear a sound
    fast - probably partly because its a new install as well, but lovely and snappy
    cool - no problems on temps so far

all in all I'm well pleased

oh yeah, and I put the old drive into an Icy Box enclosure - very handy

18. zevot macrumors member

oh yeah, and I put the old drive into an Icy Box enclosure - very handy[/QUOTE]

oh i have an old drive too where did you get the icy box enclosure? is it bulky how much did u get it for?? :)

19. Junk DNA thread starter macrumors regular

Junk DNA

oh i have an old drive too where did you get the icy box enclosure? is it bulky how much did u get it for?? :)[/QUOTE]

i picked one up here:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-026-BT

very slim and smart, also comes with a leather traveling case, nice bit of kit.

20. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

take the stock hard drive n upgrade urself later for cheap.