Is this a good computer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by No Regrets, Aug 12, 2014.

1. No Regrets macrumors regular

I'm curious if the Feb 2013 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.7GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display was a good computer?

Any issues with the display or anything else for that matter that I should be aware of?

I'm looking at one that has 16GB memory and 512GB Flash Storage. Primary use will be for photo editing using Lightroom and Photoshop, surfing the web, playing pandora. Will not be playing any games. Anything I should look for or be aware of?

I currently have a late 2011 MBP 13" but is too small of screen and not enough memory with only 4GB.

Many thanks!

2. Meister, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014

Meister Suspended

Meister

I don't have this model, but I don't think :apple: sells any bad computers.

3. No Regrets, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014

No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, poor choice of words... but I said that because it is not the latest version. So, the question remains...although now reworded - is this a good computer??? Anything to be concerned with??? Any issues to be aware of???

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yep its good computer, and will handle anything you throw at it.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Any computer can have issues

Apple computers are great, I have never had an issue with one.

However any computer can be a lemon and any computer can have componenets that fail, there are issues with screens on a small minority of MBPr's but you'll never know if yours has an issue unless you buy one same as with any other computer.

6. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

This particular 15" Retina computer uses NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory. I see some other ones just a few months later use Intel Iris Pro Graphics.

Is there a difference? One preferred over the other? Will it even matter to a user like me who doesn't do any gaming? I pretty much just do photo editing and view photos and surf the web.

Thank you for your replies!

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

any of the macbooks you named are utter overkill for your usage.
    If you are set on the 15" screen then I would suggest the base 2014 or 2013 model.

8. priesty macrumors newbie

Just wondering how much your looking to pay for this machine, if you don't mind me asking

9. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

What I liked about this one was the 16GB of memory. The photo editing programs are getting more and more intensive and I want to stay ahead of the game because you can't reconfigure.

The price was $1899 US as an Apple refurbed product. I missed out on it....it's not out of stock. It was a $900 savings off it's original price.

Oh well....

10. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Next time don't hesitate. Macbook pro's are all very good machines. Especially the retina ones.

11. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

I know that I've loved my current 13" Macbook Pro non-retina, my mini iPod, iPhone, etc.

I guess I just wanted to check on this 15" Retina because I've read things about image retention, yellowish tints, etc. and as I will be using this for photo editing and viewing images thought I should ask.

----------

Someone just shared that image with me on a photography forum....was that you?

I showed my wife this morning and she said...."Don't you be getting any stupid ideas now!" lol

12. catean macrumors regular

What do you think about the early 2011 models ? :rolleyes:

13. pragmatous macrumors 65816

That's why you get applecare with it. All refurbs get the standard 1 year warranty and you can buy the extended applecare for it.

14. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, you're right.

15. Jeff R macrumors 6502

Jeff R

Lmao! Nope, could've be anyone. I just Googled "no ragrets" and apparently, majority of the pics are pretty much identical to this one.

16. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

Too funny!

17. drogba macrumors member

I'm still operating a 15" 2011 MBP and I think it's still kicking quite wonderfully. It's slowed down a little bit lately but the thing is a dream. I seriously don't know how I was dealing with a desktop up until that point. The added RAM, retina, and other upgrades since then make me excited for the day I have to replace this one, so no, I wouldn't worry about quality. As ppl have said, MBP's are pretty great across the board.

18. eneisch macrumors 6502a

Some 2011 MacBook Pros have issues with GPU failures (not sure exactly which models are affected). Search the forum for more info, but I think the only fix was reported to be a replacement of the logic board which cost $$$.