Is this a good deal for a G4 Cube?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by steamboat26, May 9, 2007.

1. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I have someone offering me a G4 Cube with 640 MB of RAM, a 20 GB HD, and tiger preinstalled for $225. It also comes with the usb speakers and power supply. Is this a good/fair deal?

2. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

3. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

It all depends on what the processor speed is?

4. Magnus Reftel macrumors member

What, it's worth it for the 500MHz but not the 450? ;-)

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

It better! Unless you don't need power or sound for your computer....

6. seany916 macrumors 6502

Ummm... what are you planning on doing with this paperweight to be?

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'd say it depends more on the video card installed, since the processors were 450 and 500 mhz (not much performance difference), but a video card better than the stock RagePro 128 is worth probably $50 all by itself. Also, you will want to have a close look at condition. Even Cubes that didn't have the infamous "cracks" are often scratched and marred. Personally, I would not bother with an abused Cube at any price, but that's just me.

8. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I'd say it depends on what you want to do with it.

If you need tons of disk space, it's probably not a good deal. If you need a lightning fast computer, it's probably not a good deal.

If you need a no-nonsense machine to just browse the internet, check e-mail, and maybe process a document or two, then I'd buy it.

9. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm really just looking for the cube as a browsing computer, and because its so cool.

I will have to ask him about the graphics card.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

What you want to do with the Cube really doesn't enter into its market value. With the exception of the video card, they are quite upgradeable (I'd get rid of that stock 20 Gb hard drive right away -- they were small, slow and noisy!). A Cube can be made about as functional as you want it to be. Suitable video cards will be difficult to locate, though, so it's important to know what you'll get for your $225. The original stock speakers are a big plus, BTW.

11. curiosa863 macrumors member

I'd love to own a cube, so i am going to totally encourage you on this. If you upgrade the harddrive (for a music collection), are they pretty capable of running an audio-only itunes library?

12. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I would assume so, my imac G3 500 mhz runs itunes decently, and the altivec engine in PowerPC G4 chips is optimized for programs like itunes, iphoto, and imovie

13. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Sorry, one more question, is there any way to get more USB ports (possible USB 2.0) on the cube? because if I have to use one for a keyboard (or bluetooth dongle) and one for the speakers, i won't have any way to connect a printer, ipod, etc.

14. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

Can't you just use a USB hub? I use a self powered Belkin 4 port hub on my iBook. Self powered is a lot better because it doesn't draw off of the computer's ports.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sure, you can hook up a USB hub to the Cube, but it will be strictly 1.1, because that's all the motherboard supports. If you use an Apple wired keyboard, it has a hub built in. Another option, assuming the Cube comes with an original ADC video card, is to find an older Apple Studio Display, which also has a USB hub built in.

16. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Another thought (although this is probably a ripoff). macofalltrades.com has a 500 mhz sawtooth with 256 MB of RAM, and a 20 GB HD for a little less than $200 shipped to me. Granted, it doesn't have the same cool factor as the cube, but it has a lot more upgradeability. Which would you go with, cube or sawtooth?

17. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Since they were of the same era (cpu's, FSB/ram/etc), from a performance standpoint, they will be similar. Obviously, the cube wins hands down from a coolness factor, but if you want serious expandability, the tower is the way to go :)

And yes, you can add USB ports (to either machine) by getting a powered hub :)

18. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

steamboat26

But on the sawtooth, couldn't i get a third party usb 2.0 card and install it in one of the empty slots?

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't see why not. But if you're thinking this way, you really don't want a Cube. ;)

20. mikeytttt macrumors newbie

If you're thinking of getting a Cube you must take a look at cubeowner.com
    It has everything you need to know about upgrading, customizing and issues to watch out for.

Still running my cube, albeit with a 1.2 Ghz upgrade card with cooling system and 128Mb Video card. However, once new imac is out then the old cube will be retired. Still runs great but starting to get a bit slow on the old photoshop and Cinema4D. Plus there is NO WAY to get USB 2 support on it.

21. mags631 Guest

Point of comparison:

I just sold mine on ebay for $255 which included shipping charges:

G4 Cube (500MHz)
    768MB Ram
    60GB HD
    15" ADC LCD
    Speakers

No keyboard or mouse.

22. FairlngtonBlade macrumors newbie

I've held onto my Cube and it still does a pretty good job. I run some moderately complicated spreadsheets (data fitting and running my bowling league). These can bog it down, but it's usable. With a few upgrades (AirPort card, 80GB hard drive, 576KB RAM), it's a pretty serviceable machine. I figure it's worth about $250.

That much having been said, unless you're in love with the idea of the Cube, I think a refurb Mini is a better option. For an initial outlay of a few hundred dollars, you'll get several more years of service out of the newer computer.