Is this a good deal for a refurbished MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GraveMAL, Feb 18, 2013.

1. GraveMAL, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013

GraveMAL macrumors newbie

Hi relatively new to the whole Mac computer thing, I'm more of a Linux guy, but was looking to get my first. A friend of mine had suggested a local shop that specializes in Mac repair but also sells refurbished ones. The guy there offered me a 2008 15″ MacBook Pro with 2.6GHz processor, 4GB RAM, and 200GB hard drive. It also come with mountain lion 10.8.2 and programs Adobe CS6 Master Collection, MS Office 2011, iLife 2011, iWork 09, Final Cut Studio 3, Final Cut Pro X. It comes with a 90 day warranty and is also triple bootable with linux and windows. All for 600 bucks. I mainly want to use it for video editing and app development. Is this a good deal? If not, what kind of mac would be better suited for my needs? I would prefer to buy refurbished as I am not exactly rolling in cash but if buying brand new would be better, let me know.

2. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

For all of the software, that is a good deal. You won't have much fun video editing on that machine though. I have a slightly higher specked 2009 MacBook Pro, and it is torture to edit on (using Final Cut Pro X). A newer model (refurb is fine) would most likely be your best bet. One with a nice processor and plenty of ram.

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

For that hardware, the price is high. With the software listed, its ok but I doubt that you're getting properly licensed programs for that price. CS6 alone costs that. If you find that you want to upgrade the Mac to something more powerful, you might no be able to transfer the programs to the new machine.

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You should really ignore pre-installed software. It's typically pirated and you will never gain the appropriate licenses. ALWAYS determine the price on the hardware alone. The one thing that might be a factor with a really old one is whether the original OS restore disks are included. Other than that ignore it.

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Repair shop selling computers with pirated software - that is screaming. Stay away!

6. idunn macrumors 6502

Only if

My inclination is to say, no, it is not a good deal due obsolescence.

In taking a 2007, 2.2Ghz Macbook in to Apple recently for repair, the opinion of the Genius was that even a few hundred dollars would be ill-spent on repairs. Her unguarded opinion was that it was obsolete or as good as and wouldn't even do what one might want.

Well, that depends. And if that 2008 Macbook Pro is in perfect working order and does exactly what you want as is, then with that included software it might well suite your needs, at a good price. The caveat being, do not expect to be able to upgrade. The software will be what it is, likely no possibility of updates. Yes, a significant gain could be had in installing a SSD and also maxing the RAM, but beyond that you are basically stuck. Chances are it would run Snow Leopard better than Mountain Lion. With something like Final Cut Pro, it would not be the most capable choice.

If you are serious about app development and video editing, particularly as a business, then time is money. Capability as well. If this is a way to get in the door, then so be it. But you should be aiming towards that truly powerful and modern. The evolution in software alone will demand it. Even circa 2010 equipment doesn't really cut it.

As said, only if you can live with what it is for as long as that might satisfy, or be at all feasible.

BTW, I paid for that repair, even though fully aware of the MacBook's limitations. It still performs beautifully, only increasingly just can't do everything.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

If it has the nVidia 8600GT run away screaming like a pre-teen girl at a Justin Bieber concert, you do NOT want to own that ticking time bomb.

8. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Pirated software is an instant no in my book.

9. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

LOL this should be quote of the day

10. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

Dude!

CS6 alone cost that, I don't know the price tag of the other software but I just bought CS6 and it cost me close to that ( I pay on a monthly basis about 45$/month).

I would stay away.

11. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

That thing is a dinosaur. Save up and buy a newer model or a refurb. You won't be able to do much editing or anything for that matter besides browsing and light stuff.

Don't value the software, it's probably not legal stuff and if you ever need to do a refresh you won't be able to get it back as you don't have licenses.

It's a high price - ish for those specs. I wouldn't do it.