Is this a good deal for late 2014 iMac 5k?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dannyar, Jan 6, 2016.

1. dannyar macrumors 6502

So I have an offer to purchase a late 2014 27" iMac 5k with the 3.5ghz i5 and 1tb fusion drive for 1450$ it was only bought this past November and the serial number confirms it has AppleCare through November 2016. It's like new in box as well. I sold my late 2013 15" rMBP 16gb, 512 SSD, core i7 to get this. Is this a good deal for 1450$ and is it a good swap considering same price?

2. Ferdball macrumors newbie

I just received my Late 2014 27" 5K w/1TB Fusion for $1699. So, with Apple Care, I think its a great deal.

3. zhaoxin macrumors regular

If I were you, I will not do this.

Comparing to the iMac you mentioned, your CPU and SSD are better. The GPU in iMac is better and also the screen.

So if what you want is only a better screen not a better GPU, you can choose a 27" 4K monitor, which costs you only 1/3 of the iMac.

With MacBook Pro, you can still have portability, which means you can use it everywhere, even if you don't take it outside of your house, you can use it on your bed or when you are watching TV.

4. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

I agree with everything you say. However that big screen real estate on the imac is pretty special and sooooooo easy on the eyes.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The 5k does give you more scaling options to provide a higher amount of screen real estate. I was running a MBP off a 24" display, so it was conceivable to upgrade the monitor, but for me, the iMac was a better fit :D

6. dannyar thread starter macrumors 6502

I currently have my rMBP running on a 28" 4k monitor so screen real estate really wasn't the issue. More so the expandability. I don't really game, but being able to have an all in one system that is a bit more future proof since its upgradable to 32gb ram instead of 16 for the MacBook pro is ideal. Im also getting a newer computer that's over a year newer. I don't need the portability as well because I just purchased a 12" MacBook to be my portable device. All things considered the imac is the more valuable computer and more future proof going forward correct?

7. loekf macrumors 6502

loekf

Nothing wrong with the hardware. I have the same machine (bought it in May last year). About Applecare, you have Apple warranty until November 2016 (= one year) and you can extend it with 2 more years until November 2016. So total three.

This machine boots to the login prompt in 10 secs. Fusion drive was good enough for me. I have all data on external USB and TB drives. Guess Apple will give you something like 4-5 years more of yearly OS X revisions.

My only issue so far was the old Magic Mouse with its flaky battery compartment door. The new rechargable one is much better. I also like the updated keyboard better. However, I'm a gadget geek (newer = better).

8. dannyar thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I have the new trackpad that I bought for the MacBook pro last month so I wouldn't use the magic mouse, also I already use the full sized apple usb keyboard so I wouldn't use the new keyboard either. But yes, this seems like a great deal because apple still sells them refurb for much more and amazon even used they are still going for 1700.