Is this a good deal for me???????

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Adoni, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Adoni macrumors newbie

Looking to purchase an iBook G4 to go along with my iMac, specs:

# 1.33 Ghz CPU, 12 inch screen.
    # 512 MB RAM
    # Wireless Airport card built-in. CD-DVDR/W combo drive, Blue Tooth

it only comes with the power cord and the battery holds a full charge.

Is $620.00 a good deal for me or a rip...

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Well a brand new MacBook costs $1100, so I would say that is over priced. Get a used Powerbook G4 if you want a PPC machine, the iBook is far too underpowered by todays standards to pay $600 for.

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

the diff from a iBook and PB will almost nothing(comparing 12'' one)...170Mhz for the last one of each, GPU was a little better, but overall similar.

If the Op only wants web browsing, iTunes, Pages ect, the iBook is fine..I have one and its not underpowered for these basic things.

As for the price, I think its bit high, because it sold for 999..so I'd try and find a better deal(not sure what the used iBook market is like, so its posisble this is the best you will do!)

4. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I was looking for something portable too to compliment my home computer. First I stumbled upon the ibooks, they were 400-600, but I decided on a CD macbook 1.83 refurb. Runs everything fine, and was only a little more than the ibooks at 799.

I would rather spend 300 more for a macbook, but thats me. If you are on a strict budget, ibooks can be found for 250-400, try craigslist.

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

that you can get a refurb'd MacBook for only a couple hundred more than the iBook you listed suggests it is overpriced.

6. Adoni thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all your replies, I've been looking for a book for a while now and being new to mac your advice is appreciated...