Is this a good deal? Free iPhone 5S for VrZ Fios Cust

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Frisco, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

Here

What's the catch? I have Fios so I am eligible for a free iPhone 5, but I don't trust Verizon.

So what's the deal with this offer? Thanks!

"The best devices deserve the best network. Now get an iPhone 5s for everyone in the family on America's largest 4G LTE network. Hurry, this exclusive offer for FiOS customers ends 9/1/14."

"Offer ends 9/1/2014. Offer available only at participating Verizon Wireless Communications store where FiOS service is available. Must maintain billing address within the Verizon northeast area footprint. FiOS Internet, TV or Voice service req'd. Limit 5 iPhone 5s devices per account. 16GB version only. Our Surcharges incl. Fed. Univ. Svc. of 15.7% of interstate & int'l telecom charges (varies quarterly), 21¢ Regulatory & 88¢ Administrative/line/mo., & others by area are in addition to monthly access & not taxes (details: 888-684-1888); gov't taxes & our surcharges could add 12% - 42% to your bill. Activation/upgrade fee/line: Up to $35. IMPORTANT CONSUMER INFORMATION: Subject to Cust Agmt, Calling Plan & credit approval. Up to $350 early termination fee/line. Eligibility to keep number varies. Offers and coverage, varying by svc, not available everywhere; see vzw.com. While supplies last. Limited time offer. In MA: Sales tax based on Verizon Wireless' cost of a device purchased at a discount with service."

2. maflynn, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Are you willing to commit to a 2 year contract on the iPhone 5s on the cusp of the iPhone 6 release?

3. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

The only catch I see is if someone had FIOS service but not Verizon Wireless too. One might have to have wireless service with Verizon as well in order to benefit from this deal. For me this wouldn't work even though I do have Verizon FIOS. Their wireless service is not good enough in my area that I would be able to switch to them from AT&T.

4. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

Well it would be my 1st Smart Phone so I wouldn't know what I was missing. I currently have a flip Samsung Tracfone :eek: It's the worst cell phone I ever had--even worse than my 1st cell phone in 2001.

I don't need the latest and greatest. And I sure don't need a bigger phone than the 5S. I have no room left in my pants for a phablet :p

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Verizon is going to work just fine for most folks - they are not the top carrier by accident.

As to getting the 5S vs the newer phone - millions and millions of people are going to be just fine with that phone.

Looks like a darn good deal if it works for you - meaning you are not stuck in a contract with your current phone.

6. cynics macrumors G4

The catch is you'd be in a 2 year contract with them. That isn't necessarily a bad thing if that's something that interest you.

I dumped all my Verizon services including Fios. Decent service but too expensive. Not that the alternatives are much better but I was able to figure out some stuff that worked for me better.

7. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

Can't the op just sell it and pay whatever's left on the Unsubsidized price or does verizon work differently

8. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

Yes. But keep in mind that it's a two-year contract. The next iPhone is coming soon..do you want to commit like that?

Do it if you feel comfortable.

9. aneftp macrumors 68040

Too much of hassle. Verizon counting on monthly revenue from wireless.

"Free iPhone 5S" plus $35 activation fee plus $350 ETF plus monthly fee. You are talking over $400 right now.

Consider that Apple will drop the msrp of iPhone 5s 16gb from $650 to $550.

So even if you intended to flip the iPhone 5s. You probably won't get more than $450 on the open market with new iPhone coming.

Too much hassle to flip

10. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

The thing I am worried about it the "qualifying plan." Who knows what that is--they may make u buy an expensive data plan.

I need a plan with not much data. I really wouldn't use that much. I am not really a phone type of person. I like to literally be untethered in life, but there are situations where I would need to take photos, shoot a short video and make a couple of calls so I think a smart phone call accomplish all that. And since I am a man and have no purse I need something small--I hate carrying around things.

I just recently got a money clip and love it--don't know why I waited so long!!

So if I could get an iPhone for no more than $60 a month I think it would fit my needs. But I don't want to spend $100 a month on a plan that I rarely use.

I am a little confused with plans from carriers. Do all plans offer free WiFi--meaning you don't get charged data if using data (for example surfing the web) from say a home Network.

Sorry for the dumb questions. I am really an absolute novice with smart phones. Never really had the need. I am in NJ so only Verizon and At&t have good coverage here.

Thanks!

11. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

So how much will you monthly bill go up?

Nothing is free

12. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

Well I pay around $10 a month for tracfone. I realize nothing is free--I would like to stay around $60 for a monthly bill--that's why I know the iPhone 6 wouldn't be an option.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Of course and yet he'll be bound by the 2 year contract and any phone he buys to replace it will need to bought at full price, so he's back to the same issue :)

14. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

Why did you throw in an etf?

15. aneftp macrumors 68040

You always want to add in the ETF ($350 first month minus $10/month) as part of your calculation whether it's a "good deal".