Is this a good deal? (Mac Pro refurbished)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Squall Strife, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Squall Strife macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I've got the opportunity to buy a refurbished Mac Pro with these specs:

One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Nehalem”
    3GB (3x1GB)
    1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB

The price is 2.000,00 € instead of 2.399,00 € that Apple asks for the new one.
    What do you think, is it a good deal?
    What kind of experience do you have with refurbished Mac Pros?

2. simsaladimbamba

www.mac2sell.net or eBay might be good price checkers.

from http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Minor_Problems

from http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Marketplace_Rules#General_Rules

3. diazj3, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Seriously, simsaladimbamba... I really don't see the reason to lecture the OP on the MR guides and Marketplace rules... to my understanding this doesn't apply to his/her question, since he/she is not posting a thread to "offer an item for sale or trade, asking to buy an item, nor asking for pricing advice on items to be sold".

He/she is only asking if in general that'd be a fair price/deal and other's experiences with refurbished MPs - he/she is not selling anything. There have been quite a lot of threads with such inquiries, and the mods have allowed it so far ;) IMO the best way to deal with dubious threads - not that this is one - is to report them or ignore them.

+++

To the OP, is it a certified refurbished? Apple's refurbished macs are a great deal, since you get full warranty. Prices may be higher than used macs, but it's worth the difference.

cheers!

4. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

5. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Sounds like a good price, but is it apple refurbished or by another company? If apple refurbished, its a great way to save some money over buying new. Also there is a possibility of getting free upgrades as well.

6. scottsjack macrumors 68000

I've had excellent results with Mac refurbs purchased online from Apple and would have gotten a 2010 Mac Pro refub if I could have waited until they became available.

And, their logic boards work much better than simsaladimbamba's apparently does:)

7. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

Completely biffed that one. Hopefully he didn't spend too much time constructing his post as it was almost a complete waste of time. I say "almost" because there is some potentially useful information in the links provided.

If the OP is purchasing the refurb from Apple, then I say go for it. My first mac (2007 iMac) was new. The subsequent macbook pro, mac pro, and ACD are all refurbs. Every mac I upgrade moving forward will be a refurb. It's a great way to save a lot of money on products that don't get discounted very often.

8. Squall Strife thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everybody! ;)
    Actually when I read the simsaladimbamba reply I thought there was something wrong with my request of help, but then reading the other replies I understood that the problem wasn't me :D
    The Mac Pro I was talking about is an Apple certified refurbished that comes from the italian Apple online store (yes I'm italian :D) :

http://store.apple.com/it/product/FC560T/A?mco=MjA3ODcyNDE

So do you think I can expect a good machine from a refurbished? It's just that I'm a bit scared about spending 2039,00 for a refurbished machine but at the same time saving more than 350,00 euros that I can actually invest in RAM or SSD, sounds like a good deal!

9. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yep, you'll get a good machine. Apple has a great reputation with refurbs. Plus, if you get a lemon, they'll replace it, so no worries.

10. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Its worth the savings! You have the same warranty as if it were new. If you're concerned you can always purchase Apple Care within the first year! I say go for it! I recently picked up a refurb 27" ACD... Its honestly as if it is brand new :)