Is this a good deal on a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by i3igsmooth5769, Jul 4, 2008.

1. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

hello.....just wondering if $1,675 is good deal on a brand new sealed MBP? guy said he bought like 2 days ago. its the 2.4 ghz with 200gb hard drive. Is it wise to buy one now, since theres reports of the MBP's heating up quite a bit.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Do you know the seller personally? Did you find him on Craigslist or eBay? Usually, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Beware the scams that are running rampant on Craigslist, eBay and numerous "questionable" websites. Check, re-check and check again before you buy. Be careful if you go to meet someone, as you could find yourself a victim of robbery (it's happened many times).

The base price for that model is $2000, so you have to ask yourself: Why would someone spend $2000 on a MBP and sell it for $325 less, 2 days later? Sounds very suspicious.

As far as buying one now, if you get AppleCare with it, you don't have to worry if something goes wrong for 3 years.

3. i3igsmooth5769 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

yea thats what i was thinking.....i found it suspicious that he doesnt have a receipt yet he bought it 2 days ago.....he gave me the address of a starbucks we could meet at....so i was thinking of bringing my dad and brother with me. BTW i did find it on craigslist.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Craigslist is a very dangerous place to shop these days, with scams almost more prevalent than real deals. Plus:

• What MBP buyer doesn't open the box within 37 seconds of receiving it?
    • What MBP buyer "loses" the receipt in the first 2 days, before they even know if it's in perfect condition and works?
    • What MBP buyer would be willing to lose $325 instantly, when they could simply return the MBP in the first 30 days and get a refund?

My recommendation: RUN AWAY!

5. i3igsmooth5769 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

i think your right.....as bad as i want one.....i probably should just run

6. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

he might have gotten a student discount and the ipod touch deal... decided he didnt want the mbp... if its unopened and you can meet him in person in a safe place then Id say go for it...

7. i3igsmooth5769 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

yea thats possible.....how could i know for sure if its really sealed....never been opened. ive never owned a mac so i dont really know how theyre packaged. Or what if its stolen, what issues could i run into?

8. orangeillini14 macrumors regular

Ask him for photos and ask him why he's selling it.

9. mynameisshawn macrumors member

There's clear tape where you open the box, it shouldn't be cut or peeled. I just tried to peel it and it leaves marks on the box and peels the black off the box. It should be obvious.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Even with the education discount, that model starts at $1799... still, they would be losing $124 instantly. Doesn't make any sense at all.

11. i3igsmooth5769 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

he's got pictures on the listing of the box.....sitting on the floor. But i will ask why hes selling

12. i3igsmooth5769 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

what do most people who sell their used MBP's get for them?

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It depends on the age and condition, but it's not realistic to sell a 2-day old unopened MBP for $100+ less than what you paid for it. It's your money, but I smell a scam here!

14. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

I bought mine for 1700 shipped. albeit was used for a few months but also had a 320 gb hdd in it...

15. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

well, even if he lost the receipt, I'm sure that the apple store could locate the receipt for him. And so could hiscresit card company, unless he paid cash And if they could do so, then he could return it for a
    full refund. So this deal makes no sense, unless its stolen.

16. i3igsmooth5769 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

if it is stolen....i take it im liable for it?

17. i3igsmooth5769 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

18. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

Technically yes and no. You could be prosecuted for buying stolen property, but i'm not 100% sure on that. I think I saw it on the news here in the Bay Area a couple days ago. Anyways, just find out why the guy is selling it, maybe he has a really good reason for selling it. Anyways, just be careful if you do decide to go for the deal. I've seen other members on this forum in similar situations and it ended up bad.

Be safe, you'd be better off with the student discount off one of your friends :)

-JoE

19. i3igsmooth5769 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

yeah im actually a student so i could use that discount. I may just just but the black macbook with the student discount and free ipod....its no MBP but at least i have the peace of mind

20. boxxer macrumors newbie

purchased a new in box 15in mbp, 2.4gh, 200gb, last week off of ebay for 1550 + 50 shipping.

Was very hesitant due to no picture on the listing but the guy had sold a bunch of Ipod touches and an apple monitor with 100% feedback.

Received it on Wednesday and it is perfect.

Was probably stolen:(