Is this a good deal on an iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by RedlegsFan, May 26, 2016.

1. RedlegsFan, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016

RedlegsFan macrumors 6502

It looks like this is the price (not a sale price) on BHphoto for a 27in iMac late 2015:

3.2 i5 Skylake
    8GB Ram
    AMD Radeon R9 M380 GPU (2GB GDDR5)
    2TB Fusion
    $1999

A few questions:

1. They call this model Late 2015. But it has a AMD M380 card while the current model on Apple.com has M395. Is this not the current model? Or is this just a downgraded card for this config?

2. It looks as though the smart thing to do is to upgrade the ram on my own. Correct me if I am wrong, but I can get 2x8GB sticks for about $60, which seems to be a no brainer. Right?

I was going to snag a Macbook Pro but don't feel like waiting and I don't really need a portable.

Any thoughts on this item at this price point? This will be my first Mac purchase. I am looking forward to removing myself from the Windows world (at least at home!)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I just looked up that model, and that's the low end iMac with the storage upgraded to a 2TB Fusion Drive
    Here's what it would cost you from Apple. You're saving yourself a hundred dollars by going with BHPhoto

2016-05-26_7-14-41.png

What's your intended usage? That way people here can help determine if the configuration is a good fit.

I have the M395 GPU model with a 2TB Fusion drive, and its a great computer. Basically what you have, but with a faster dGPU.

3. RedlegsFan thread starter macrumors 6502

Ordering it from BH will also save me tax, thankfully.

It's probably over spec'd for me, but I intend to keep the machine for a while. Nothing real demanding usage wise, some light photo editing, and your basic email/internet/music hub. I really want to get my hands on that beautiful screen.

So again, it's probably more computer than what I need, but figured it would be worth getting this with these specs so I can use it longer than I typically would.

Thanks for any advice provided!

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would say it's actually ideal for you. The 27" display is gorgeous and it's really what you should get if you can afford it. You're not gaming, so the M380 is more than fine for your usage and the real dealmaker is the 2TB Fusion Drive because it's really what's going to make a difference in basic tasks. You are right that upgrading RAM on your own is the best way to go - it's so easy that there's no need to pay for Apple or someone else to do it.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Good luck with it, I love my 27" iMac. I'm sure you'll also enjoy it very much :)

6. RedlegsFan thread starter macrumors 6502