Is this a good deal? UPDATED

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by techlover828, Jun 8, 2008.

1. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

Do you guys think that this is a good deal?

Updated at the bottom with a new listing.

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

It's a fair price for sure, especially if the dock is included. As for if it's a good machine, well, yes, but it is an older machine so it will run slowly with newer software. The plus is parts to upgrade it will be cheap now, so you should be able to maxx it out without too much trouble, but that won't speed it up much for modern apps. Plus keep in mind it is under the requirements for Leopard (667mHz is 200mHz shy).

The pluses? The price is pretty good provided it is undamaged/works perfectly, and it will run Tiger quite well. One of my graphic design partners works in CS2 on a similar machine, and it's a bit slow but it works fine. Basically, if it covers what you need, go for it. If not, or if you want something faster in a less pro-grade, you should be able to find an ibook in the 867-1ghz range for about $50-100 more...

3. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

it would basically just be to toy around with, so I'm probably going to pass, thanks for the info though

4. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

The fact that it is listed as a 17" PowerBook is either a mistake or a lie. There never was a 17" PowerBook made of Titanium or with less than a 1GHz processor.

5. jonswan macrumors regular

Looks and probably is a 15 inch. The processor is so weak I wouldn't bother, unless you're just using it to browse with.

6. kmarketing macrumors 6502

Hi,

I think it is an okay deal at best. I think you will probably be able to do better, especially after the supposed new machines come out.

Good Luck!

7. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828