Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Soulflower, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Soulflower macrumors regular

Soulflower

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Well the savings is misleading because that laptop is 1699 on Apple.com. You are saving 100 dollars, but I'm not sure if that shipping is free. Apples is free however. I'd probably but it from the actual Apple store if it were me. I don't like buying really expensive stuff online

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

4. Soulflower thread starter macrumors regular

Soulflower

The i7 on Apple is $1899.

5. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Yeah my mistake, I didn't even see the i7 option I was looking at the i5 for 1699.

Like he said, it looks like a great deal.

6. XoFu macrumors regular

XoFu

Unlucky me

Really good deal. I'm in Europe, Otherwise I would pull the trigger this minute:(

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

MacMall doesn't charge sales tax in some states, such as WA. I bought a MBA from them. Paid for the faster shipping and since they stock a lot of BTO models, it shipped right away.

Unfortunately, I had some logic board issues with it. Apple replaced the logic board, but I still had issues. Apple wouldn't give me a new one because it was a CTO (they didn't have one in stock) and I was still under the MacMall return period.

MacMall was great with their customer service. I did have to talk with tech support to get the RMA, but I ended up getting a full refund including the expedited shipping fees.

8. Soulflower thread starter macrumors regular

Soulflower

I ordered the Macmall computer with these specs:

Apple 13.3" MacBook Pro (with Retina display) dual-core Intel Core i7 2.9GHz, 8GB RAM, 512GB flash storage, Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Z0N41LL/A)

It has arrived and it looks great to me. Do any of you pros have suggestions that I should look for to make sure it is perfect?

I did not realize that it was Late 2012 instead of Early 2013. Is this a big deal? Could someone explain the differences? Thank you.

How can I tell if I have an LG screen or Samsung and which is supposed to be better?

9. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Samsung is supposedly better, but many have said that the new LG panel- SJA2- is better than the Samsung without IR. Also, if you had seen that it has a 2.9 GHz i7 processor, that means it was Late 2012 not 2013, since the ones with 512 GB SSD and and i7 have a 3.0 GHz now.The differences between the two models were mostly: price, processor bump (2.9-3 no biggie), I/O board change, ogic board change (to accomodate the new processor), etc. Things that MAY BE DIFFERENT: the inclusion of an new LG panel without LG. You don't get that in Late 2012.

On the 13", there is no way to check what brand you have, so just use the computer regularly, and if younotice IR, take it in to the Geniuses. Don't worry about LG/Samsung--just use the computer. Congratulations on your new machine!

10. Soulflower thread starter macrumors regular

Soulflower

Thanks so much. Could you please explain IR and what to look for? (Sorry, I don't know what that is.)

11. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Image retention. When you have a window open for a while, change screens and you can still see a bit of the last screen up (also known as ghosting). When you switch screens, if you can still read the writing of say, a blog you were on, on top of a Youtube video, then that is IR.

12. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Better in what respect?