Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SamLikesHam, Sep 18, 2013.

1. SamLikesHam macrumors newbie

I am about to buy a used imac g5 1.6 ghz with 256mb ram and a 17" screen for an ipod touch 1g and a broken ipod touch 2g and 40$. Good deal? :eek: I think so but I just wanted to double check with the experts here on MacRumors.:D

2. SamLikesHam thread starter macrumors newbie

Soooo is it a good deal?:confused: its not very hard just to type yes or no into the keyboard.:rolleyes:

3. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

That's subjective based on how valuable the iPods and your $40 are to you. Also considering the fact of whether you absolutely need a computer or not can greatly alter your decision.

Asking your question with more information presented will generally yield greater responses.

4. Bear macrumors G3

It depends on why you want the G5. It's going to be limited in what it can do.

5. SamLikesHam thread starter macrumors newbie

All i really want it for is internet browsing and stuff like youtube facebook and if i can i would like to play minecraft

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

So, effectively you got the iMac G5 for around $ 80 ?
    I thinks that's a good deal. If the iMac is in good working order I expect it to be worth around $ 200, maybe a bit more.

Your maximum OS will be Leopard (10.5.8).
    Internet browsing and non-HD-youtube will be fine.

I expect that Minecraft will have to be played on low settings. OTOH, I don't think that's an issue: Grfx is not the reason why you play Minecraft. ;)

Have fun with it!

7. SamLikesHam thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks and it also comes with os x 10.5 so that's a bonus

8. Saltymac macrumors member

No - Sell it and get at least a base core 2 duo 17 inch iMac. You can run up to Lion and you will be happier in the long run. That said I have a G5 PowerMac running Leopard that I still use at a less frequented location to control a HughesNet internet and wifi system, a bit of light Word and Excel office use and some inet browsing. I have upgraded the gpu, ram and hdd's so it is respectable but still not what I would want to use daily.

9. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

you will be sorry you didnt get Intel iMac after a while. its not about performance but availability of software. but if it is only "kitchen computer" kind of thing then I guess its fine. i wouldnt want to use it as my primary.