Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by repentix, Feb 8, 2014.

1. repentix macrumors regular

Hi, I have been looking at this section of the macrumors forum for quite a while. Since my purchase of an AGP 350mhz powermac g4 I have done quite a bit of research on powerpc macs and have been looking at my local craigslist for quite a while to find the perfect deal for an old powermac G4 MDD or powermac G5. A few days ago my eyes saw a post for a Powermac G5 1.8 ghz single core 2003 8gb ram with dvb-t usb card, a retail copy of Leopard, a retail copy of iwork 2009, a retail copy of ms office for mac from 2008 and an apple cinema display 20" with adc for 130 Euros. A pretty sweet deal. The guy who is selling it says that after upgrading the ram to 8gbs he had to jiggle the ram around a bit to get this G5 working, but he believes its only an issue with one of the ram sticks. I actually wanted to buy a copy of office for my own mac with mavericks and now that this guy is selling a G5 with loads of software why not buy this thing and get a free G5 with it. I got him down to about 90 Euros without the apple display, but with the software.

Do you think this is a good deal?I know powermacs aren't really up to date and can't really do everyday stuff but I only want an office mac as I have got mavericks on my newer mac for all the other stuff. Is the ram problem a real issue? Can you actually put ms office 2008 for mac on a mavericks mac?

Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

Repentix

A pic of the software:[​IMG]

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

This is a seriously good deal! Don't be cheap and give the guy the full amount for the software and everything. The software alone is probably worth the original price.

Yes, you can run it on Mavericks. It's Universal (PowerPC/Intel).

What was meant by juggling the ram was probably the fact that with G5s you have to have the ram installed in equal pairs. You can't mix say a 1GB chip with a 2GB chip. It has to be equal. Once the seller got the chips installed equally then it became a non issue.

The Cinema Display is killer. I just got a 20" one for my G4 Quicksilver. With shipping that came to $65, a bit less than half the price you quote. So, the CD is worth at least half of what the seller is seeking.

All the way around this is a very good deal. I'd take it before the system and the software get split up.

3. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Go for it! My Dual 2GHz G5 was $80, and the cinema display 22" I got was $45, but I didn't get any software or anything and I'm stuck at 2GB of ram, so certainly a good deal!

4. repentix thread starter macrumors regular

I got my new G5 today! It's running brilliantly.....well sort of I still have to get an dvi to vga adapter for my monitor :eek: . The software the G5 came with is iWork 09, an eye tv2 recording software with license code, dvbt stick with software and license codes, office 2001 with license code, leopard retail, and office 2004 it's sad that it isn't office 2008 but i've got iWork 09 for my mac with mavericks and the original install discs. This purchase pretty much paved the way for more powermac purchases :). My specs are : 2003 Powermac G5 1.8 Ghz single core processor, 8GB DDR SDRAM. The man also provided all the receipts for everything ever done to the machine. He also included a mac wifi adapter and a usb bluetooth adapter which was pretty kind of him. I sadly couldn't buy the cinema display because it was too much of a hassle transporting it via public transport in Berlin :( I could actually barely manage with the Powermac G5 in all its weight. I paid 80 Euros for all of this in the end which is one heck of a deal :D !

5. harrymatic macrumors 6502

Great score! Shame about the monitor though. I cannot sympathise with you enough about lugging it around on public transport though! :eek:

I had to lug my MDD G4 around for a theatre show I was running - even though they're a similar weight, the metal handles on the G5 must absolutely kill your hands! I thought the G4 was bad enough... :rolleyes:

6. repentix thread starter macrumors regular

The G5 weighs in at about 20 kilos. When I got my Powermac G4 I had to carry it all the way as it didn't fit in the bag I had especially brought for it. That was a real pain :( . But this time round the guy gave me a small bandwagon to go under it which was pretty nice :D . Even though the G5 did really strain my hands when going up the stairs. But now it's happily sitting under my desk.