Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iLive, Jul 26, 2015.

1. iLive macrumors regular

Hi guys. I've been searching for good deals of Retina MacBook Pros on Craigslist, and I would like to know if you think this deal is good (for my needs).

I will use the machine for university tasks such as text editing (Pages), reading PDF and note taking, and I also enjoy playing League of Legends here and then while Skyping with my friends. I'm aware Macs are not gaming machines, but I'd rather have an excellent device for education and mediocre for gaming than the other way. Besides, I already own a 13-inch MacBook Air and I enjoy playing on it, so as long as my next machine is better and not worse for some casual play sometimes, then it's fine.

However, what I'm not satisfied with my current Air, is that it has become very slow in simple tasks. E.g. it'll take 1-2 seconds before I can start typing when I open a new tab in Safari or lag when I swipe in Mission Control. And I hate it because I become unfocused for a while and it disrupts the flow when you're working.

Anyhow, I realized (still new in the US) that instead of paying $1399 (with taxes) on a 13" Retina MacBook Pro, I could spend less money for a used 15" Retina MacBook Pro with dedicated graphics. Yes, I know I give up portability, but I could really use that increased screen space for managing multiple applications in the same window.

So I will list some of the deals I've found on Craigslist, and maybe you guys could tell me which one I should go for that would work the best for me. I will appreciate any comment and/or help because I've never owned a 15" Retina MacBook and therefor don't really know what to go for. Btw, I live nearby San Francisco in the bay area if you know any better deals.

PS. I use less than 60GB storage on my MacBook, so storage is not important for me.
    PSS. These are not the final prices. Who knows if I might be able to bargain with them.

15" Retina MacBook Pro (2013)
    Price: $1100
    2.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    Ram: 8
    Storage 256
    Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GT 650M
    Battery Cycle: 6
    Condition: Mint

15" Retina MacBook Pro (2014)
    Price: $1200
    2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    Ram: 16
    Storage: 256
    Graphics: Intel Iris Pro
    Battle Cycle: unknown
    Condition: 2 scratches on the back

15" Retina MacBook Pro (2014)
    Price: $1800 (maybe I can push it to 1400(?) because the guy says he needs to pay some bills)
    RAM: 16
    Storage: 256
    Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GT 750M
    Battery cycle: unknown

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I like the middle option, that seems to be a decent deal and a good computer.

3. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

There is no such thing as one with 750m Graphics and 256GB

4. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

Don't fall for such tricks. As iPad Retina showed in his comment there is something wrong with it.
    I would check the refurbished Macs as well.