Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tissot201, Dec 14, 2015.

1. tissot201 macrumors newbie

I'm new to the Apple scene and I have been checking out the new Macbook. I was able to find a second hand Macbook 1.1Ghz for $800. Is this a good deal?
    Also any tips to buying a Macbook second hand?

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I would buy it. I missed out on a used MacBook for 860. I'm still somewhat kicking myself for not outbidding someone on it.

Find out how much more Applecare is available on the device. It'll still be covered but if it was bought in April then Applecare is running out.

3. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

860? That's a crazy good deal... Was that on eBay?

4. tissot201 thread starter macrumors newbie

He says there's 10 months Applecare left. How would I verify this and would I have to transfer the applecare?

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Yep. I wasn't ready to fully commit to a MacBook at that point, though. I'm glad I didn't as the MacBook Pro I have now is more to my liking overall.

You would need the serial number. There shouldn't be a transfer for it as it's associated with the device.

6. zamboni52 macrumors regular

I got really lucky a month ago. I was exchanging my laptop (1.1 256GB SG rMB) at an unnamed big box retailer because some of the backlighting behind the keys were off a little. I was in a rush so I gave them the old one after wiping the information and they bagged up the replacement and I left. I didn't even look a the receipt. After I restored my backup from Time Machine, I noticed a lot more unused disk space than normal. Turns out they gave me a 1.2 512GB SG rMB. I went back to the store a few days later and they said that they had price matched my original machine because they didn't know it was different. Long story short. I got my current configuration for $1099 + tax.

7. ZipZap macrumors 601

Transfer that warranty. Otherwise there is nothing stopping the seller from asking for a refund. Never leave the warranty in someone else's name.

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Except that there's nothing for a non-Applecare+ warranty to be transferred. It's associated with the machine, not the person.

9. ZipZap macrumors 601

Totally not true. It is registered to a person as well. There is an Apple process for transferring it. The previous owner can ask for a prorated refund and get it. Do you want to find out later you dont have a warranty?

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

The warranty is worthless without the physical device.

11. ZipZap macrumors 601

What are you talking about.

The warranty can be canceled at anytime and a prorated refund will be given to the person who purchase and registered the warranty. Not the new owner of the device. It has to be transferred for someone else to become the new warranty owner.

If you dont agree then fine, but I will not chance it.

12. zamboni52 macrumors regular

I've refunded my AppleCare when trading my in my iPhone. Call AppleCare and they will reimburse you any prorated amount. Then you can just purchase AppleCare on your new device.

13. JTravers macrumors 6502a

I think what he's talking about is that since there's only 10 months left on the warranty it must be the original 1 year warranty and not the 3yr AppleCare. You can't get a prorated refund on the standard 1yr warranty.

14. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Thank you, reading is hard for some, but arguing comes easy.

15. tissot201 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies so far guys. Picked up the Macbook the other day and I'm loving it so far. I do notice the backlight on the keyboard is uneven. Is this covered in the warranty?

16. ZipZap macrumors 601

What was mentioned by the WarBrain and the OP was Applecare. Secondhand and 10 months left sure sounds like applecare extended warranty to me.

I know Applecare as the term used to describe the extended warranty. Not the out of the box manufacturer warranty.
    No confusion on my part. If you bought something that has the Applecare extended warranty get it transferred to your name.

From my perspective its Warbrain who has trouble with reading. You, on the other hand, added not value to this thread at all.

17. JTravers macrumors 6502a

Wow. I think you missed the fact that the MacBook was just released in the spring, so 10 months left does not sound like an AppleCare extended warranty at all. The OP specifically mentioned the "new MacBook" and that it was 1.1GHz.