is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jeff42037, Feb 2, 2009.

1. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

2. nippyjun macrumors 65816

If you can see it in person that would be helpful.

3. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

When you go to make the exchange, meet in public like at a Starbucks. Even if is sealed box, make sure you open it, turn it on and view "About this Mac" to ensure is all he says is.

I know a guy who met someone who sold him a "sealed box" MacBook Pro. Paid $1550 cash. He took it home and opened it and was no MacBook Pro in the box but rather a rock. Said it was perfectly sealed so he assumed was legitimate.

There are a lot of scammers out there. But there are also a lot of good deals from honest people who have just changed their minds for whatever reason and don't want and just want cash to buy something else. The whole thing is be very careful. See it, keep it in your hands, then pay cash for a safe transaction. An honest seller will have no problem letting you test it fully.

Good luck.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

You might also look at the serial number and call Apple (or the local police) and see if it's been reported stolen.

5. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Lol, just hand a person $1550 in cash for a sealed box....dang, give me that guy's number. I've got a new SIB, MP normally $4,000, will take $2000 in cash. :rolleyes:

I've always opened things to check. I can't belive someone would have over so much $$$ to stranger without checking something.

I sold a wii to someone and made sure they checked it, so they couldn't call me and say something later!