Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TheSVD, Feb 23, 2009.

1. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

Hey, im really into photography after using my mates camera alot, and have been nosing around for a good camera.
    In my local Cash Converters (im over in England, just incase you americans wonder what that is :p) Has a mint condish, used Canon EOS 350D with a Tamron 55-200mm lens on it for £300 - but, my mates dad actually owns the shop, and so i can get 20% off of it, and get it for £240 :)
    Is this a good deal, or should i go somewhere else? OR should i just get a brand new one?
    Just thought id come here to ask, thankyou :D

2. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

Don't know enough about the UK market to be sure, but if you can check your local eBay/used camera type websites/stores and get a price comparison. If that falls roughly around the £300 mark for a majority of them then things are looking good.

You might also need to get prices for the body only & lens only just to be sure as you aren't getting the kit lens. Certainly the extra 20% should help regardless.

Good luck!

3. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

The 350D body looks to be going on eBay for between $150-250, depending on whether all of the accessories in the box are still included (battery charger, cables, manual, etc). That Tamron lens is worth only about $165 brand new and fetches about half that on the used market. So the entire package might be worth about $350 used, if the camera comes with all of its standard accessories.

So I'd say that's a fair deal you're getting, but that lens is nothing great and doesn't give you a very useful range of focal lengths; at the very least you'll want to supplement it with something wider. I'd recommend buying the items you want separately and not getting stuck with a lens like that.

4. TheSVD thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

ah okay ill probably just give it a miss then :)
    ill just save up for a brand new D60 or something :D

5. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

Cameraworld appear to have refurb D40 kits for £200. Tempting.

6. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Alternative : get a used D70/D70s, you wont be disappointed much better picture quality than a D60 ive found (might get slated here), then get a good lens, I just put a Sigma 10-20 on a D300 after several years using a D70s + 18-70 and i love it, thats just my opinion :).