Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rainier42, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Rainier42 macrumors member

Can get a hold of a new MBP 2.6GHz, 17" Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD, Final Cut Express installed, and 3 year Apple Care for $1300. Is this a good deal?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No, it's very bad. Tell me where did you get it :p

It's awesome deal but if it's in eBay or Craigslist, it may be a scam because retail price would be like 2500$

3. Kidman13 macrumors regular

Kidman13

Yeah I agree. If it's too good to be true...

But it might be one of those late 2007 models (non-unibody), then the price is reasonable...

4. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Seems like; I trust the 2.6 GHz figure was a typo because store.apple.com says the only new 17" MBP today has 2.8 GHz. With that said, the 2.8 GHz 17" MBP is going for about $2500 (base price) albeit with a 500 GB HD. FCE would be good for another $200 and AppleCare for another $350 or so.

So, bottom line is, the offer sounds like worth nearly $3000. I assume this is some sort of educational pricing because otherwise it's a MBP sold from the back of a truck. :D

5. Kidman13 macrumors regular

Kidman13

I believe you could upgrade the late 2007 models to 2.6. I'm pretty sure that no one is selling a unibody MBP for that price, it has to be the late 2007 model.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yea. But that would be the '07 top of the line MBP with all available upgrade so price of that was easily over $3k. And OP says it's new....

7. Rainier42 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all your responses ... MBP is listed on a local Craigslist. With this, it is cash-and-carry only so will have a chance to look at/evaluate. Have sent the seller an email.

8. neosferatu macrumors newbie

as long it has APP and i can test it before buying, i'll buy it :)
    even if it comes from the back of the truck, not after ran by one :)