is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by medicscott, Oct 19, 2009.

1. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You have to assume all of the software is illegit, unless it comes with disks. If it were to come with disks, which I don't really see happening, then its a great deal. Otherwise it's okay, but the refurb store is probably a better route.

3. mcglry macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro

I have a 15" Macbook Pro Unibody, its a nice computer. Go for it!:D

4. medicscott thread starter macrumors 6502a

medicscott

oh k...i asked bout the discs...good info. and i had no clue bout the refurb store...ill check it out! thanks.

5. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Adobe Products and Microsoft Office tend to be the ones where the software is illegally acquired.

I'd ask when you pick it up to test the activation, if it doesn't go through, then don't buy it.

EDIT: You can even get the refurb 2.26 MBP 13" for the same price : http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB990LL/A?mco=MTA4MzIzMzA

6. medicscott thread starter macrumors 6502a

medicscott

so he doesnt have the discs for the upgraded software...dang. and then if i ever needed to reformat it, i would be screwed with that software. oh well...thanks guys.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yeah, that is the problem. Refurb store FTW.

8. iOrlando macrumors 68000

yeah refurbished is 900. not sure if its exactly the same as that ad but close enough.

9. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

If you find it interesting, meet with the guy and use your instincts.
    I'd ask for him to bring the receipt and/or at least question where he got it.

Also fire it up and look around. Remember, the police and victims actively look at Craigslist items like this. Often stolen. If you buy it and its stolen you may lose the computer and the money in the end. And be sure to bring someone with you. The seller knows you have $900 cash on you.

10. medicscott thread starter macrumors 6502a

medicscott

what is the story on refurb? do they not last as long? why cheaper?

thanks for all the great info again...really appreciate it!

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

Anyone without the install disks raises a red flag - it's definitely pirated software, which you don't want on your computer. Also he should include the Apple install disks (2); without the Apple disks you would have to either buy Leopard plus iLife or get the fulfillment disks from Apple, which would get you copies of the original 2 disks that apple distributes.

Refurbs are models that have been retuned for whatever reason. They are checked out and any needed repairs are made. Sometimes it's just cosmetic like a visible scratch on the case. Refurbs are normally reliable and they still have Apple warranty.

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

No discs means pirated software (blackware) or he has a legally acquired disc with more than one install (grayware), like how you can install some copies of ms office on up to 3 computers. The trouble is with either one, you can be sitting there minding your own business using it to discover that one day the software won't work, and there's not s#^t you can do about it.

If the guy is selling the computer for the same price you can buy it elsewhere or less, you're really not out anything. If he's using it as a basis to up the price more than what it's worth without it, then pass it up.

Ask the guy point blank if the software is pirated or not. If it's not, ask him what you'll do if it doesn't bass a verification or update check in the future.

13. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Software shouldn't matter unless you're looking for a bundled deal. First thing should be receipt if possible. Whoever buys the computer doesn't need the software if pirated and could just delete it. If there is no receipt possible (I don't know about others but a purchase at that price, there should be no reason why a person would lose it.) then I would start to question it but that should be the first thing to look for, software already installed is not significant.