Is this a good external monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lapino, Jan 19, 2010.

1. lapino macrumors regular

I'm still debating whether I should get a 27" iMac or an external monitor for my Macbook Pro. I would get this external screen : http://www.nec-display-solutions.co...CD-EA231WMi.xhtml?cat=LCD&mg=Corporate&e=e1s1 . Any thoughts on that? It's an IPS screen so colours should be very good. Alternative is an Apple Cinema Display which costs about double but I'm not sure it's worth the price premium over the NEC display.

I love the iMac 27" but all the screen problems really scare me away, since I mainly do photo work on my Macbook Pro which is why I need a good, high res screen.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I have been using the ACD 24 for a couple of months. I am starting to get tired by the glossy screen and the poor adjustability of its base. Not having a vesa mount on it only makes it worse.

Also, using a screen with higher ppi the rest of the day everything on it seems huge and I think I'd much rather have a 22" monitor with the same resolution that sits a bit lower on my desk.

The main disadvantages over the ACD is that it doesn't have LED backlighting and the panel and that it has a lower vertical resolution. (1080 rather than 1200).

I think it's a good deal but only your eyes can tell.

BTW for the money it's great that it has a display port. Eventually it's becoming a more adopted standard.