Is this a good find?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by afroAnt, Jan 7, 2012.

1. afroAnt macrumors regular

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

1. NOT a good find, it's an auction, you have NO IDEA what price it'll end up so we can't say.

2. No idea WHY you want it. Reason?

3. afroAnt thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm not really sure, I thought it would be a good buy. I could use it as a server but now you questioned it I don't really need it. Though it would look nice ;)

4. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

In US dollars, its a good deal if it were to sell for that price right now. No idea what a PowerMac G5 is worth down under though.

5. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

It's currenly on $167 AUD. That's a fantastic price AT THE MOMENT. There's still another 18 hours left on it. It'll definitely go up way above that price. If you NEED a G5, and you NEED an aluminum keyboard, and you NEED an ACD, then go for it as those three items put together cost a bomb. But if you just buying because you think it'll nice then don't bother, save up and spend your money elswhere.

6. afroAnt thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Well I do need a new screen and keyboard and I did have a look and these screens do cost a lot. If I do decide to go for it what price should I stop at?

7. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Well I'm basing my answers on UK prices (everything is more expensive in the UK anyway ;) )

On average the dual 2ghz G5's are going for around £150 ($225 AUD)
    The Apple cinema displays are going for around £100! ($150 AUD)
    And the wired aluminum keyboards are going for around £30 ($45 AUD)

Personally, if I were looking for a dual G5, an aluminum keyboard and an ACD I'd pay bid up to between $300-$350 AUD (£200-£235)

I don't know what your budget is or what you're expecting to pay but that's just my two cents..

8. afroAnt thread starter macrumors regular

The current bid is $551. Oh well thanks anyway guys!

9. mike457 macrumors 6502

It's clear that what's driven it that high is the software. The hardware itself isn't worth that.

10. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Ahhh I dunno, not as many people buy into software these days as they now there is places where you download it for free, it's a shame really.

I think the reason why it's gone up to such a high price is the fact that it's a whole unit (Eg. monitor keyboard mouse upgraded system, software etc.) IE. you wouldn't have to buy anything else to get it up and running, you can plug it in and use it out of the box (this is always a +1 for 'simpler' people that can't be bothered to buy extra accessories etc.