Is this a good for a used 2.4gHz Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jeenyus, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Jeenyus macrumors newbie

I'm looking to buy a used Macbook and came across someone who's selling a year and a half old Macbook for $900

The specs:

2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo Processor
    160 GB HardDrive
    4 GB of ram installed by Apple
    CD/DVD super drive burner
    and all the other features of the latest generation MacBook
    comes with all original recovery disks and magsafe charger and original box.

Do you guys think this is a good deal or should I try to lower him down? If so, by how much? He was originally selling for $1020 btw.

2. brendu macrumors 68020

which graphics card is in it? thats the most important piece IMO. You may do better to buy a refurb and then upgrade the RAM yourself later when you have some extra cash. I doubt he will lower it much more than that... Its not a BAD deal but its not an amazing buy it before it sells deal either.

3. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Eh, bad deal if you ask me, unless it's a unibody, but you didn't specify that.

You can buy a brand new Macbook for $1000 from apple, and while it doesn't include 4 Gigs of ram and is slightly slower (not enough to have a real difference), it IS brand new and has a warranty, not to mention the Geforce 9400M.

I probably wouldn't offer more than $650-700. I'd rather buy refurb from Apple.

Edit: If I had to guess, it's probably the early 2008 macbook, non-aluminum. Again, bad deal for you.

4. yoyomaster macrumors regular

+ 1

5. bwaymusgal macrumors newbie

I would say it is a bit high and you can definitely talk them down by showing them prices in other places.

I've been trying to sell my Macbook 2.4 that is less than a year old for a few months now at $800 with only a few people interested but no one buying because they all said they could get it cheaper from another source. I started at $900 and went down quickly from there and will probably have to go down again to sell it locally.

6. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

7. omarjk macrumors regular

Definitely overpriced. I was in the market for one of those more than a year ago and the going price was $1000 or thereabouts.

8. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

That sounds just like mine spec wise..(except mines a Pro)

I agree with the above. Offer no more than 6-700.