Is this a good hd quality video?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by SchneiderMan, Dec 27, 2008.

1. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

shot this with the canon hf100 but im really not happy with the Hd quality after imovie08.

newer clip
    http://www.vimeo.com/2657180

I would appreciate you comments on this guys. thanks!

2. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

3. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

I'm not sure if it's the original footage, the encoding, or the frame rate but it seems just a little stuttered.

The clarity of the image is good, though.

4. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Well, it didn't really stutter for me, but the clarity is great!

5. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

it was a m2ts (or whatever) file and i encoded with imovie with to h.264 720p hd mp4 it was the best i can get out of it. still ive seen other test videos with the same camera and they look waaayyy better then mine.

6. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

This is OT but I haven't heard "Hey" for at least a decade and maybe I'm getting old and crusty but I still think that nobody has yet surpassed the Pixies.

As for the video, it looks pretty good - I wonder whether the clarity issue is partly to do with the fact that the clips were shot around twilight: less available light = less sharpness. Perhaps you could reply with exactly what settings you used?

Andrew.

7. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

thanks, i think it was shot with the easy button that the canon hf has. so it gives you the best settings? anyway it looks better on the camera itself.
    I will upload a newer clip tomorrow in a rainy day with 60i (fps?) shooting mode. lets see if thats a change.

8. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

The other thing you have to consider is that you are in a moving vehicle. I don't know how fast you are going, but because the information is constantly changing, that has to be a pretty demanding test for the camera's processors.

9. -DH macrumors 65816

Not knocking your shooting skills, but the camera's capabilities are just a part of what makes 'good quality.' Proper lighting and the skills of the camera operator also play heavily in making a capable camera produce good quality footage.

-DH

10. MrLatte23 macrumors regular

11. xStep macrumors 68000

SchneiderMan uploaded the video in 30fps. I believe Vimeo converts to 24fps and that is what is causing most of the stuttered effect. I downloaded the original QuickTime (members can do that if made available by the uploader) and converted it using QuickTime Pro to 24fps and got a similar effect.

12. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Looks fine to me apart from the stuttering although it looks like thats been explained.
    I use a Canon HF10 and I presume you have everything set up to full?
    Mine is set to 50i with full 1080p recording at 17mbps.
    Even though I do have a fair amount of hard drive space on my mac I still chose to import HD footage at 960x540 as oppose to the full 1920x1080 as I find that i get great results for what I need it for.
    It is also easier/quicker to manipulate the footage with it been a smaller size.

13. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

yes so now i used a 24 fps setting in imovie for this new clip and im uploading it now to vimeo. thanks

weird i do not have the option for 50i shooting mode only 24-30 and 60i. for this new clip i uploaded, i shot it in 60i and with 15mbp on full 1080 on the hf100. and using i movie i converted to 720 using 24fps (key frame every 30 frames) h.254 mp4 file, its a rainy day but i think it looks a bit better. link in 5 minutes! thank you all :)

here is the newer clip: http://www.vimeo.com/2657180

14. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

You've got the 60i (US, Japan) model - Johny5's got the 50i (UK, Euro) model.

Andrew.

15. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

ahhhh great thanks for explaining

16. xStep macrumors 68000

I suspect for best Vimeo results, you want to record in 24fps, edit in 24fps, and output in 24fps.

17. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

ok ill try that out, does youtube convert the fps also?

18. pigbat macrumors regular

You can never go too far OT when you're talking the Pixies. I saw that Hey video today and now can't get it out of my head.

19. xStep macrumors 68000

Here is YouTubes answer. They seem to say they do not resample to another frame rate.