Is this a good idea?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iSkier, Aug 5, 2011.

1. iSkier macrumors regular

I've been really wanting an iPad for traveling and such, mostly for just playing games and watching movies and stuff. I can't really afford buying a new iPad 2, but my brother is willing to sell me his 1st gen iPad 16GB for $200. Is this a good idea to do? Or should I wait and save up for the iPad 2 (meaning is it really worth the extra $300)?

2. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

As a proud owner of an iPad 1, I'd say that is a good buy, especially considering you said you cannot afford the iPad 2 right now. iPad 2 does offer more RAM and a faster processor (as well as the cameras, but I don't really care for that since I have an iPhone) but the iPad 1 is just as great. I believe that would put you in a good position to buy an iPad 2 later on if you decide to sell the iPad 1 or possibly the iPad 3 if indeed it does come by the end of the year, since you wouldn't have spent $500+ right now.

I'd also make sure your brother kept the iPad 1 in fine shape, it was the AppleCare warranty, battery's still good, etc. But I'd like to think your brother wouldn't sell you short. :)

3. iSkier thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah it's in good condition, I just wasn't sure if it was worth it, I don't really care for the cameras that much on the iPad 2 but I just want to have one for traveling and playing games and stuff. I think I'll do it.

4. Bloodraw850 macrumors 6502

Bloodraw850

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Think about it this way, you will always be able to sell it for 200 incase you really like having an iPad but wish to upgrade.

6. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

My father has an iPad 1 , I have an iPad 2. When I got my iPad 2, we put them side by side and played the same movie on them, no difference, we played Netflix on them, no difference. My father says he has not seen anything that would make him want the iPad 2 over his iPad 1.

Don't know about games, except for a few free ones, and did not notice any difference. The iPad 2 seems to be just a bit faster in typing from the keyboard.

If I were you, I would buy the iPad 1 and save the $300. Your brother has made you a generous offer.